Pump to lift 20 feet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
At camp, I need to bring water from the lake to a holding tank. It will not be for drinking, but for doing dishes, or general washing.

Would an inexpensive sump pump be all I need, or would I need a Jet pump or other type?

If the water is ever used for drinking, we would install a filtration system

Are you planning on the pump in the lake or at the camp?

What will you be doing about storage? Pressure tank or a tank and gravity system?

I doubt a centrifugal sump pump will have enough lift and a suction pump at best is limited to 25’ at sea level if I remember correctly.

So the best setup will be running a power line along with the pipe and putting the pump in or near the water source. You will also need some sort of strainer to filter out big stuff.

Harbor freight has some small pumps that would work and if you build a holding tank you can put a float switch setup to turn the pump on and off.

Are you planning on the pump in the lake or at the camp?

What will you be doing about storage? Pressure tank or a tank and gravity system?

I doubt a centrifugal sump pump will have enough lift and a suction pump at best is limited to 25’ at sea level if I remember correctly.

So the best setup will be running a power line along with the pipe and putting the pump in or near the water source. You will also need some sort of strainer to filter out big stuff.

Harbor freight has some small pumps that would work and if you build a holding tank you can put a float switch setup to turn the pump on and off.

1) The pump would be put in or near the lake. I would run the cord up to a generator to run it.

2) Tank and gravity fed to the sinks.

I remember my navy training saying 30 feet, but here I would be pushing it as this is just a rough guess.

1) The pump would be put in or near the lake. I would run the cord up to a generator to run it.

2) Tank and gravity fed to the sinks.

I remember my navy training saying 30 feet, but here I would be pushing it as this is just a rough guess.

If you are filling a tank and have to run a gas gen anyway for 185 bucks you can do this. get 4 (55 gallon) plastic food grade drums and plumb them together.

1 in. 79cc Gasoline Engine Clear Water Pump - 35 GPM

I would start out with something like this then. Running a garden hose and an extension cord from the camp to the lake. Sit the pump close to the lake and anchor the inlet side out in the lake. With the right quick connections you could bring it all in when not there.

1/2 HP Cast Iron Transfer Pump

I would start out with something like this then. Running a garden hose and an extension cord from the camp to the lake. Sit the pump close to the lake and anchor the inlet side out in the lake. With the right quick connections you could bring it all in when not there.

1/2 HP Cast Iron Transfer Pump

I don't deal with harbor freight. I also am in Canada.

At camp, I need to bring water from the lake to a holding tank. It will not be for drinking, but for doing dishes, or general washing.

Would an inexpensive sump pump be all I need, or would I need a Jet pump or other type?

If the water is ever used for drinking, we would install a filtration system
A $88.00 1/4hp utility pump from Home Depot.ca will lift 25’. The 1/2hp pump can lift 27’ for $118.00.

a cheap jet pump from Princess Auto will cost you about $320.00 plus the hoses. The idea with these pumps is to have the pump close to the water as it’s easier to push water then it is to suck water.

You might want to run your extension cord through pvc conduit, IMC conduit, or even just a garden hose or similar protective jacket.

The odds are good that some critter will eventually chew on it, or someone will cut it or drive on it and screw it up, maybe even fry the pump if it dead shorts.

A $88.00 1/4hp utility pump from Home Depot.ca will lift 25’. The 1/2hp pump can lift 27’ for $118.00.

a cheap jet pump from Princess Auto will cost you about $320.00 plus the hoses. The idea with these pumps is to have the pump close to the water as it’s easier to push water then it is to suck water.

Would the utility pump work, or do I need to get a jet pump? I'll be putting it at the water's edge, or in it.

If this is for the long term then a jet pump might make more sense. However they are a little heavier and will need to be protected from rain. If it was me then I’d try the utility pump as it cheap and easy.

If this is for the long term then a jet pump might make more sense. However they are a little heavier and will need to be protected from rain. If it was me then I’d try the utility pump as it cheap and easy.

It'll be used once or twice a year and then be put in a shed. I am not concerned with how long it takes to fill the tank.

If you just want to set the pump into the pond edge, it is common for a pond bottom to be pure muck and debris.

You will likely have to put the pump into a pump filter box, like you will see listed for garden ponds, or make one from a plastic milk crate plus filter pads.

It might need to be floating, slightly submerged, and tethered with a weighted anchor.

You can find info and videos of doing this on Youtube and also on off-the-grid living sites.

Of course, you want your generator to have a gfci outlet or gfci outlet adaptor, and also ground the generator frame with an eight foot driven ground rod, or similar quality ground.

For shock protection and lightning protection.

If you just want to set the pump into the pond edge, it is common for a pond bottom to be pure muck and debris.

You will likely have to put the pump into a pump filter box, like you will see listed for garden ponds, or make one from a plastic milk crate plus filter pads.

It might need to be floating, slightly submerged, and tethered with a weighted anchor.

You can find info and videos of doing this on Youtube and also on off-the-grid living sites.

Of course, you want your generator to have a gfci outlet or gfci outlet adaptor, and also ground the generator frame with an eight foot driven ground rod, or similar quality ground.

For shock protection and lightning protection.

It is a lake, and I already have that part covered. Generator as well. I am just trying to sort out how to move the water up the hill.

You need to determine the flow rate you want in addition to the feet of head required. You can get a pump that is rated with a high enough head but might have a really low flow rate at that head pressure. I doubt a typical big box sump pump would have enough head foe that application. They are typically a low head high flow pump.

You need to determine the flow rate you want in addition to the feet of head required. You can get a pump that is rated with a high enough head but might have a really low flow rate at that head pressure. I doubt a typical big box sump pump would have enough head foe that application. They are typically a low head high flow pump.

If it takes 8 hours to fill a 45 gallon drum, I am fine with that.

You can find the flow rates for many pumps on the manufacturer's website. I looked up a 1/2hp pump and the flow rate at 630 gallons per hour at 20'. You can also buy float switches at Princess Auto that will shut the pump off when the barrel is full. However, at 10 gallons a minute it won't take to long to fill your barrel.
Everbilt 1/2 HP Submersible Utility Pump
Model # HDCU80

Back