Pretty vague information. Are we talking Stainless Steel, White porcelain, painted? If porcelain, it will scratch, so use a poultice and let it sit for an hour until you loosen up the crud. I like Soft Scrub myself.
I'd use an ammonia/baking soda mixture to get off the burnt food. You need warm water, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup of ammonia. Then soak a sponge in the solution and you should be good to go. It's best to stay away from white vinegar and cleaners with high acid in them since they can quickly destroy your stove.
I use any spray Orange cleaner I get from the dollar store.
Smells good, non toxic, let it soak for a while and it comes right off.
Also the best cleaner by far I've ever used on for cleaning walls, removing tobacco stains.
It works so fast you have to start at the bottom of the wall and work your way to avoid runs.