Re-pipe/re-route...What would you do?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o2284200

Reaction score
I've capped off the cold water line inside the garage wall behind the bathroom toilet & vanity, which stopped a leak. I now have water running properly throughout the house except no cold water to the laundry room sink, washing machine & spigot outside of laundry room.

It appears, the best course of action is to re-pipe/re-route from where I capped off in the garage to a point above the old leak but below the sink, washing machine & spigot.

Preparing to Re-pipe/re-route a clod copper line about 20-30' max. Two out of 3 plumbers has now recommended running a new copper line outside...One exposed above ground, one buried.

Honestly, I never would've thought about running the new copper line outside especially burying it when it's a short run directly overhead thru the attic from one end to the other. That said, an inside run will cost a little more and is not the shortest run with least amount of bends.

Other than price & length of run...All else being equal, from a performance & resale POV, pros & cons, etc...I'd appreciate your thoughts on running the new copper line outside (buried vs above ground) as opposed to running it inside thru the attic.

Repipe laundry room sink to toliet.jpg

Repipe garage c:u.jpg

Repipe outside c:u.jpg

cut back the bad spot and fix the existing pipe.

Being from Michigan, I do recall my vacation to Key West and was amused at the above ground copper runs.
Freezing and theft would be my main concern but, you don't have to worry about the first concern in FL.

The house we bought last year had many leaks. After a day of fixing leaks to find more I cut the supply off at the meter and redid every run in the house with PEX tubing in about 10 hours. I will never mess around with copper or anything else again. They make shark bite fittings that will go from copper to PEX to get you started string the PEX like a wire to where you need it and crimp on the end you need.

For way less than the labor charge you can buy the two tools you will need and never need a plumber again, at least for supply lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

cut back the bad spot and fix the existing pipe...
A "Leak Detection Co." report stated the "bad spot" was in the wall behind the laundry room in horizontal run or just below the slab. That said, where would you cut back?

They likely don't like the attic as with high humidity the cold water pipe will sweat and cause other problems up there.

If you're like a lot of the older houses in south Florida that leak is only one of many to come. That being said, I would re-plumb with pex through the attic. Humidity and condensation isn't an issue as the temp of the cold water is never that cold and the attic is always hot enough to dry any condensation.

They likely don't like the attic as with high humidity the cold water pipe will sweat and cause other problems up there.

...Humidity and condensation isn't an issue as the temp of the cold water is never that cold and the attic is always hot enough to dry any condensation.
Thanks!

Perhaps, they likely don't like the attic as with high humidity (especially right now) they will sweat and cause other problems up there. :D

Last edited:
If you're like a lot of the older houses in south Florida that leak is only one of many to come. That being said, I would re-plumb with pex through the attic...
Thanks!

:agree:...About one of many leaks to come. IIWII

That said, I'd still prefer to use copper.

If you're like a lot of the older houses in south Florida that leak is only one of many to come. That being said, I would re-plumb with pex through the attic. Humidity and condensation isn't an issue as the temp of the cold water is never that cold and the attic is always hot enough to dry any condensation.

i agree with beachguy,

Its your house, you have to be comfortable with the piping.
if sweating is a concern to you. insulate the pipe, to keep it from sweating, use fiberglass insulation, and miter cut the fittings. then seal the joints with a mastic,
http://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/full/4LFC9_AS01.JPG
https://www.theacoutlet.com/image/CCW-181large.jpg
these components are used to seal chill water piping I GUARANTEE it will not drip

The thing is that pex has a much lower thermal conductivity than copper and the cold water temps here in Florida are much higher, especially city delivered water. Consequently, there is never that great a differential between water, pipe and air. I've had mine for 4 years and condensation has never been an issue. It's also the way it's done by most people here.
Frankly, the water in the lines quickly raises to the temperature level of the attic, because of that, the water coming from the cold tap can be warm to hot until it flushes out. A drawback for some, but I just look at it as free solar powered hot water.

Latest posts

Back