Rectangular depression and sinkhole in lawn

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMC41714

Reaction score
9361112D-EE46-4C03-9FA8-299381BACD95.jpeg 7FA946E3-0976-4AB6-BBAF-C9E2AE18A006.jpeg 14D7C6F3-3AA0-4F30-A156-B2D92AA4C376.jpeg 9AA329F2-36F9-4CF7-836C-C3469E6487ED.jpeg Hi everyone, i have asked questions on here before and received great answers , so hopefully someone can help me out with another one. A grassy area next to my driveway has always been a little uneven, however lately I have noticed a rectangular depression, with a small sinkhole at one corner of it starting to develop. At first I thought it could be A problem with the sprinkler system as there are three sprinkler heads in that area, But I have ruled that out. I now think it could be an old abandoned cesspool. When I bought my house, I was told that the house had always been connected to the sewer system, but I don’t believe that to be the case . My question is, is there anyway to find out if this was properly abandoned without digging up the entire thing? And Could this depression still be possible even if it was filled in with dirt or gravel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

It could be an old septic tank. different areas have different codes for dealing with them. Often the lid was dropped into it and the sides broke down a few feet and filled with sand.
That can still fill with water and be spongy and take long time for the dirt to dry.
It could be a dry well for perimeter drainage or downspout drainage.
Often filled with stone and some kind of cover fabric or? to hold the dirt up.
Soil can leak thru and fill the voids
It could be a location for old oil storage tank which has been removed or not.
Driving a steel pin in the ground and recording depths and location would give you some idea of shape and depth and if tank sides are higher than the center or?

Latest posts

Back