What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see you're enjoying your new pontoon, Ron.
I'm still a little sad about selling the ski boat but I know in my heart, it was time. I know a guy (and saw another online) that are in their late 60's to early 70's that still barefoot ski. When I was young, I didn't have access to a boat fast enough to barefoot behind. When I finally had a boat that would go fast enough, I still didn't do it. I was either chicken or too smart. Anyway, it's a beautiful thing but at this point, something I'll probably never do.
We had some nasty storms on Thursday.
Yes, we were monitoring those storms and luckily, we were spared.
Took the power out. Power company didn't send anyone out to work on it until Saturday. They restored power to everyone except us. Every single house in the area had power except mine.

I'm now planning to switch to solar so we don't have to be stuck with this asinine power company anymore.
Z, we had solar in our California house. We got it from SolarCity, which became Tesla. One of the selling points for me was, I noticed that one of the board members was Elon Musk, who I respect. The salesman was amazed I knew who Elon was because in 2014, Elon wasn't as well known as he is now.

Anyway, SolarCity (Tesla) had a deal at the time and I don't know if they still offer it because it was almost too good to be true. Elon is a smart guy but I think his main attribute may be that he can talk potential investors out of their money. They had 3 options for purchasing a solar system;
1) Buy the system outright (very expensive)
2) Lease the system for a price less than your current electric bill.
3) Enter into a Power Purchase Agreement.

Ruby and I did the calculation and decided on option #3, the Power Purchase Agreement. Tesla pulled the permits, installed the equipment, and promised to maintain the equipment for 20 years.

At the end of 20 years, we could purchase the equipment for a reduced cost or Tesla would remove it free of charge.

Tesla guaranteed our roof not to leak for the 20 year period.

In return, we had to buy the power that the panels produced at a rate of 10.5 cents per kWh. Tesla could raise the rate up to a cap of 15.5 cents but it never matched or exceeded the rate SMUD (Sacramento Municipal Utility District) charged. SMUD was always less than PG&E (Pacific Gas and Extortion . . .think, fire and explosions!). Our electric bill definitely was less with solar.

To begin with, Tesla analyzed our electric bills for the previous two years and built a system that would produce 80% of our normal need (I'll explain that more later). Anyway, during the time we had the solar, we reduced our electric usage by replacing all our incandescent bulbs with LEDs and just being more energy conscience. The end result was, after 6 years, we over produced power and sold back $2,000 worth of electric to SMUD which they paid us back for when we sold the house. The Power Purchase agreement was transferable to the new owners.

It was a good deal and I'm glad we did it. One of the panels cracked...like someone threw a stone at it or something but Tesla came right out and replaced it. It was to their benefit to do so because their investors only made money it the panels worked.

Here's the deal though. This type of system is a "Grid Tie" type...meaning that we were still hooked to the grid and electric flowed both ways, to and from and grid. We never noticed if we were producing or receiving power. It was automatic. We over produced during the day but then got it back at night. This system really works well but guess what? If the grid went down...we lost power just like everyone else. We had no local storage for the power we produced. The grid was our storage.

To have local storage, you're looking at another whole system. Another system that is expensive and a lot of maintenance...unless you go with something like the Tesla "Power Wall" but it's expensive and I'm not aware of a good deal for it.

Now, in our current house, a much less expensive emergency system that works well, is easy to set up and maintain is a generator. There are systems like the Generac whole house systems (expensive) or what we did was to buy a Champion 8750w generator from Amazon. I installed an interlock switch in my circuit breaker box.
1716212241131.png
The 8750w gen will run all our lights, freezer, fridge, computers, microwave, coffee pot and TV's. It won't run the A/C though or the electric stove but we won't lose our food or ability to cook it (propane BBQ and microwave). The gen runs for 10hours on a tank of gas. I keep 15gallons on hand for the gen, lawn mower and boats.

Gotta have a back-up! These are uncertain times!

Thanks for that info, Ron.
Since a lot of income for Louisiana comes from oil, they don't want to encourage alternative energy sources.

I know this is expensive as hell, but they have monthly payment options: https://sungoldpower.com/products/o...attery-32-x-440-watts-solar-panels-sgr-20k30e
That's the system we were looking at. It has six batteries, two 10k inverters, thirtytwo solar panels, cables, and stuff to mount solar panels. Panels can be upgraded at later points if necessary. It also comes with a rack to hold the batteries. Some of the panels (maybe a dozen) can fit on the south side of the roof. I can also set some near the ground if they are well-anchored and I set up a perimeter so the cows can't get close enough to bump them with their horns. The inverters are hybrids so they can draw power from the grid. I'd still need to get bus bars and something on which to do the ground mount panels, but in the long run it could save us from the nasty power surges that fried appliances and from being stuck without power when my crappy power company loses power (or someone forgets to flip a switch).

My friend is highly motivated to help us set it up because he wants to make sure we are OK and we have invited him to sleep over here if his power is out in town. We just have to clean up that front room and put a new mattress on the bed and maybe put up some new curtains or something so he and his wife can have a little privacy.

Ok Z... The problem is, that picture they have is an imaginary house located in Relaxville, which doesn't exist anywhere. In Relaxville, there are no creatures outside, no Tornadoes, no Hurricanes etc... They get small amounts of Rain and that's it. The temps are always in the 60-65 range 24/7.

Since it's named Relaxville, there is no such thing as Terrorists there that PISS ALL OVER the batteries. They have never even heard of the Species.

Until you at least solve the issue of where that battery rack sits inside, there's no point in looking at anything else.

I'll be the first to let you know....don;t do it! People are ripping them off left and right these days in California. What happens in California affects every other state tomorrow. The power companies will buy your electricity for $,15 a KW, and sell this same power back to you for $.45 a KW. They are also charging solar owners an additional $100 per month for solar. Remember, the solar guys and the roofing guys have teamed up, so it is one big umbrella company. If your roof is only 2 years old, they will force you to purchase a new roof before adding solar. Once NEM3 began, solar has dropped like hotcakes in California. Save $30,000-$40,000 and just get a big ol' generator and tie it to your panel.

Thanks for that info, Ron.
Since a lot of income for Louisiana comes from oil, they don't want to encourage alternative energy sources.

I know this is expensive as hell, but they have monthly payment options: https://sungoldpower.com/products/o...attery-32-x-440-watts-solar-panels-sgr-20k30e
That's the system we were looking at. It has six batteries, two 10k inverters, thirtytwo solar panels, cables, and stuff to mount solar panels. Panels can be upgraded at later points if necessary. It also comes with a rack to hold the batteries. Some of the panels (maybe a dozen) can fit on the south side of the roof. I can also set some near the ground if they are well-anchored and I set up a perimeter so the cows can't get close enough to bump them with their horns. The inverters are hybrids so they can draw power from the grid. I'd still need to get bus bars and something on which to do the ground mount panels, but in the long run it could save us from the nasty power surges that fried appliances and from being stuck without power when my crappy power company loses power (or someone forgets to flip a switch).

My friend is highly motivated to help us set it up because he wants to make sure we are OK and we have invited him to sleep over here if his power is out in town. We just have to clean up that front room and put a new mattress on the bed and maybe put up some new curtains or something so he and his wife can have a little privacy.
There are dual occupancy hammocks, for the cool, cool, cool of the evening.

I'll be the first to let you know....don;t do it! People are ripping them off left and right these days in California. What happens in California affects every other state tomorrow. The power companies will buy your electricity for $,15 a KW, and sell this same power back to you for $.45 a KW. They are also charging solar owners an additional $100 per month for solar. Remember, the solar guys and the roofing guys have teamed up, so it is one big umbrella company. If your roof is only 2 years old, they will force you to purchase a new roof before adding solar. Once NEM3 began, solar has dropped like hotcakes in California. Save $30,000-$40,000 and just get a big ol' generator and tie it to your panel.
Then they cover all the open space, which are nature's heat-sink, then complain about global warming, or whatever is the latest woke term.

Reminds me of the "kush-maker" story.

Spicoli, the places I would consider putting the batteries would be closed off so the little fuzzy terrorists could not get inside. One option was a small utility closet in the house but I think it is too small. Plus I've heard of fuses burning out and people's houses burning down. Option two would be to fix up the metal shed outside (that actually has doors that can close and keep cats out) so that the roof doesn't leak and insulate it a bit. Option 3 would be to get a plastic garden shed that can be slapped together and maybe put up some sheetrock or cement board between the batteries, inverter, and the plastic.

I would also want to have a fuel-powered backup generator in case of failure of either system. Looking at a Generac that has its own enclosure to keep critters and nature out.

Right now I'm researching options to fix up the well system. Jet pump stopped working. I'm hoping its just loose wires on the pressure switch. I do have a spare unopened pressure switch if that needs to be replaced. Earlier I bumped something in the pump house and the jet pump made a buzzing sound but I couldn't get it to do it again.

Looks like a wire nut fell off the ground wire for the wiring of the other pump, but that pump is working. Ultimately, I'd like to put the wires in conduit, replace some of the non-working outlets with GFCI, get the cover on the float switch since it is just exposed, put flex seal on the roof of the shed to stop leaks, and add a disconnect box so that we can turn the power to the pumps off without having to shut off the breaker inside. Really need to shut the power off and remove all of the extraneous cables that aren't going to anything or that are dead and clean out trash from there.

Cooked for Mom and went outside to get pictures and troubleshoot the pump. I need to finish cleaning out the fridge and freezer. Brother was supposed to help me but he's never been reliable. Then I need to go to the post office.

Spicoli, the places I would consider putting the batteries would be closed off so the little fuzzy terrorists could not get inside. One option was a small utility closet in the house but I think it is too small. Plus I've heard of fuses burning out and people's houses burning down. Option two would be to fix up the metal shed outside (that actually has doors that can close and keep cats out) so that the roof doesn't leak and insulate it a bit. Option 3 would be to get a plastic garden shed that can be slapped together and maybe put up some sheetrock or cement board between the batteries, inverter, and the plastic.
Those rack mounted Lithium batteries are pretty safe for indoor storage. They put them inside motorhomes now. I think just putting a piece of plastic over the top of the rack to protect them from possible leaks would be sufficient.

I would also want to have a fuel-powered backup generator in case of failure of either system. Looking at a Generac that has its own enclosure to keep critters and nature out.
Generacs are nice but I can't afford one. That's why I have a Champion 8750. I hear my neighbors generator automatically start up while I'm walking up to my shop area to fire mine up manually. Oh well...I tell myself that I'm saving a ton of money and getting exercise too.
Right now I'm researching options to fix up the well system. Jet pump stopped working. I'm hoping its just loose wires on the pressure switch. I do have a spare unopened pressure switch if that needs to be replaced. Earlier I bumped something in the pump house and the jet pump made a buzzing sound but I couldn't get it to do it again.
That pump sounds like a pain!
Looks like a wire nut fell off the ground wire for the wiring of the other pump, but that pump is working. Ultimately, I'd like to put the wires in conduit, replace some of the non-working outlets with GFCI, get the cover on the float switch since it is just exposed, put flex seal on the roof of the shed to stop leaks, and add a disconnect box so that we can turn the power to the pumps off without having to shut off the breaker inside. Really need to shut the power off and remove all of the extraneous cables that aren't going to anything or that are dead and clean out trash from there.
Sounds like you have a long ToDo list . . .kinda like mine! :p

Oh, I completely missed the Lithium battery part... Those can go up in flames real quick like. All those phones exploding are Lithiums. I would skip storing those anywhere near the house.

I was thinking storing them in the metal utility shed (that used to house the generator that was chewed by mice) was a good place-- especially since there are cables running to it to hook up to the power switch on the meter pole that switches between grid power and generator power. We want to learn a lot more about the systems before investing in stuff though.

Still need to get an easy/soft starter for the AC so it doesn't pull too many amps when it first comes on.

Sadly, the jet pump is toast. It lasted about a decade IIRC so not too bad. It was all rusty looking. I have a list of stuff I'm going to get when I take my friend to Alexandria today. HIs work has him returning a TV they didn't want and he needed a truck to transport it. He's going to install the new pump when it comes in, install the new pressure tank, streamline the plumbing a little, and fix up some electrical. He recommended getting a sub panel breaker box out there so we can turn the pumps off individually. ETA on new pump is May 30 so having no water that long is going to suck. But we've been without water for longer before. Wish I'd been prepared for it though. last time we went without water for more than a week we had several 5 gallon buckets filled with water ahead of time so we could flush toilets. I'm going to get more bottled water-- the big kind-- so we can refill water for kitties. Fortunately I have filtered water in pitchers for hand-washing.

I was thinking storing them in the metal utility shed (that used to house the generator that was chewed by mice) was a good place-- especially since there are cables running to it to hook up to the power switch on the meter pole that switches between grid power and generator power. We want to learn a lot more about the systems before investing in stuff though.

Still need to get an easy/soft starter for the AC so it doesn't pull too many amps when it first comes on.

Sadly, the jet pump is toast. It lasted about a decade IIRC so not too bad. It was all rusty looking. I have a list of stuff I'm going to get when I take my friend to Alexandria today. HIs work has him returning a TV they didn't want and he needed a truck to transport it. He's going to install the new pump when it comes in, install the new pressure tank, streamline the plumbing a little, and fix up some electrical. He recommended getting a sub panel breaker box out there so we can turn the pumps off individually. ETA on new pump is May 30 so having no water that long is going to suck. But we've been without water for longer before. Wish I'd been prepared for it though. last time we went without water for more than a week we had several 5 gallon buckets filled with water ahead of time so we could flush toilets. I'm going to get more bottled water-- the big kind-- so we can refill water for kitties. Fortunately I have filtered water in pitchers for hand-washing.
Oh wow! That stinks! Soft start is just a different start capacitor I’ve heard advertised.

Well, we’re trying to sell the old pontoon now since we don’t need two. The one we’re selling has had the deck replaced and the carpet (eww) replaced too. The rails are pretty robust and in good shape. The engine is a 70hp Yamaha outboard 2stroke. I replaced the stator, flywheel, CDI ignition three years ago. Last year I replaced the spark plugs, wires and coils. The upholstery is in great condition. It is made for fishing or cruising. It has a center console (like many fishing boats) but the dash was in rough shape. Somebody did an engine swap at some point and the instruments changed so the previous owner put a piece of 1/8” aluminum over the panel to cover the old holes. It is very robust but looks rough.IMG_8010.jpeg

So, for resale, I decided to take the instrument panel apart and re-cover it. Also, install all new switches. This is what it looks like now.

IMG_8018.jpeg

1716432226877.jpeg
It has pole holders, a live well and a trolling motor. We’re advertising it as a fishing/cruising pontoon. It should sell around here.

Driving up to the California Wine Country for the weekend. Time to stock up on some good wine!

Reminds me of my road. The loggers have torn it the hell up though. I was driving home last night and saw this floating orange thing and couldn't tell how it was floating in the air and thought maybe there was a trip wire or something. In daylight I could see it was an orange flag on a little metal thingy sticking up to mark a large pothole right in the center of the road.

So, I found out that the check valve on the inlet side may be part of what killed my pump. It causes the pump to run hotter and the pump overheated. I didn't want it there, I wanted one on the outlet side but I wasn't out there when the well systems guy did it. I just ordered a stainless steel check valve for the outlet side of the pump that is specifically for well pumps. Going to get rid of the galvanized and put in stainless steel. I'll run a pipe up, then have a SS street elbow, then the check valve, then I will bridge to 1" PEX. The PEX will reduce from 1" to 3/4" and, if there is room, I will add a shutoff before the pressure tank. Then I can connect to the pressure tank tee. Pipe coming out of the pressure tank tee can be 3/4" (the tee can accept 3/4" male threaded or 1" female threaded). I can then run 3/4" PEX to another shutoff. Will have to figure out how to stabilize stuff a bit more.

Looks like the surge protector I wanted won't work for more than 30A breaker so I will see if I can find a deal on one that can handle the 100A breaker and make sure my friend knows how to wire it. Good thing about that is that it can be added later. Just need to make sure we have everything for the sub panel to work properly. I'm wondering how much power it would take to set up a solar powered generator/backup system just for the pumps. I'll have to do some drawings/sketches of my ideas.

I racked out pretty early last night and got up at a decent time. Went to the store for more groceries. Got my brother to haul out a bag full of trash from the fridge/freezer. Still need to empty more out. Freezer is still a pain to open. Still have to get under the seal. I'm worried that may damage it over time so I'm going to try the vaseline method that was suggested by the mfr.

Should sell anywhere, Ron.

Havasu.. Is there really a difference between Don Perignon and Boone's Farm?

If you drink a whole lot of Boone's and get hammered for $14, isn't that the same thing as drinking $165 worth of Don Perignon?

I understand the difference between an Old E 40, which will make me hit the floor and a good Vanilla Coffee Porter which is enjoyable.

I also understand the difference between dirt Whisky like Rich and Rare compared to something smooth like Redneck Riviera. I do know that most $45 and up Whisky or Whiskey is at least on par if not better than Pappy, but that's only from talking to several liquor store owners, who will talk your ear off for hours if you let them.

I just don't understand Wine. It all tastes the same, although I haven't bought any "Top Shelf" myself, just tasted some over the years. I'll never be into Wine, my Brother makes it but I like to get others opinions on it.

Back