relatively new roof just developed leak while snow melting off - gutter trim?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenstr

Reaction score
We had our roof completely redone some years ago, new Malarky 50 year shingles and new eavestroughing all around. I think it has been about 9 years and we have had zero issues with it.

However, we just had one of our frequent spring snowstorms, and as I was sitting in my office one day I heard a couple of water drops hit the floor, and saw water drops coming from underneath the trim on a doorway.

After eliminating it being any interior leaks from water lines etc, I went into the crawl space just above the wall, and saw one truss wet that is against this wall. I went up onto the roof and the water was running down a valley quite fast, and I noticed a piece of metal trim by the end of the eavestrough it was hitting. My house is a 2 story and has a somewhat complex roof, with 13 peak lines & 6+ valleys on it. The area just above and over from where the leak was is a valley and the water was running down this valley from the melting snow left on the roof.

This bit of flashing was bent down and water seems to be going on both sides of it. I thought at first maybe this little bit of metal was supposed to be more against the house, so I bent it up, then went inside the house and checked. The water was still dripping from the doorway, but quite slow, only a drop every couple of minutes. Then I went back up on the roof and looked at the other similar areas and this bit of flashing (or whatever its called) were all down, so I bent the one in question down again, then went back in the house. Now the dripping had intensified a bit and was coming out the molding on the other side of the door frame, so I went back up and bent it back up flush against the house and it seemed to slow it down again.

This was a situation where it snowed about 7" 2 nights before, and there was a rapid temp increases from sub zero (c) temps to being quite warm in the sun both nights since the snowfall.

I am wondering where this water could be getting in, could it be caused by ice then a fast melt?, and what I can do to fix it - ie. should I call a roofer in to look? Is there a place I should/could add some sealant etc?

Here is a pic of the area, with the valley where water was running in the top right, the door frame in the wall below is directly below the small window.

roof002.jpg

Here is a close up of the valley eaves area, with flashing piece bent up

roof003.jpg

Here is a similar part of the roof, with flashing piece down

roof004.jpg

The line you see in these pics is from my rural internet dish, and is tucked into siding trim where it can be & not connected to roof, nor should it be a cause of the leak from what I could see.

Thanks in advance.

It looks like your step flashing was installed outside the wall covering. Step flashing should be behind any wall covering. You should not be able to see the wood siding. Your underlayments should extend up the wall and then step flashing then wall covering. (wood or vinyl)

Thanks for the reply

The photo where the wood is showing (last one) is not the one that is causing an issue.

The 2nd photo where the flashing is bent up (by me) is where the issue is, and as far as I could see there was no wood showing there, but I will look again.

I also find it strange that after a decade this is the first time it's ever leaked, or at least leaked enough that it came as far as our inside wall. We get some real downpours here in the summer too.

Sounds like I should get a roofer over and take a boo at it, in any case.

Back