Remove Marble Panel in Tub Surround

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyFixIt

Reaction score
I need access to the drain on my jacuzzi; how does the marble panel in front get removed? I doubt I'll do it myself, but do I need to pay some marble guy or can any tile/handyman person do this?

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 16
Welcome.
Are you on a slab foundation, or raised from?

Many such use light weight concrete as an insulator/Isolator.

Was floor are you on?

When you are on the grnd. floor of a building, the access would be in removing, or cutting and access panel.

When you are or any succeeding floor, above to grnd. floor, access may be gained through the ceiling below.

Why can't people just answer the question I'm asking? I know that part of the drain goes through the floor. But there's also a connection above the floor. So if I have to to access the pipes above the floor, I need to remove the panel.

We have no idea if a handyman has the knowledge to take it apart. That's a question for them. Do your home work and ask how they would go about removing the tile. If you're not satisfied, call a stone company.

By "handyman" I mean a guy who does tile floors and showers. Is it a standard tile type operation? What's involved? Is it just a matter of cutting the grout out?

The grout only fills the voids between the tile. Adhesive is used to secure it to structure. Being able to salvage the existing depends on how well it's been secured. Err on the side of caution and figure on having to replace broken pieces.

Ok, well that's where Im confused. They must account for accessing when they build this, no? Wouldn't the marble and the sheetrock be some sort of removable panel? You shouldn't have to demo the whole thing to get to the pipes

There is also something called, "job insurance", and you appear to have been the recipient of that, or just plain, neglect.

Yet from being of a critic, these products become extremely fragile when dramatically amended.

Cindy

Have you tried removing the panel or even just lightly tug on it to get a feel of what is holding it?

To the left of your photo it looks like the panel goes into behind a wall or something?

Is the panel set on top of the floor or is the floor butted into it?

IMO all you can do is maybe cut into the walls on each end and see if you can get some movement going on the panel. You wont know how well it is attached until you try something.

If the person who put it in was thinking they would have done something to allow access. It does not look like that was the case.

It may be a case of only the grout/caulk around the edges is what holds it in.

"The person" who put it in was the people who built the building. Its' original equipment. Im sure they didn't do anything that the building code didn't require them to do.

There's a sheetrock wall behind the marble attached to metal studs. It looks like the floor was put in after the enclosure. "To the left" are cabinets. The panel only goes to the cabinet so it could be lowered if it was a panel and not glued to the wall.

Does it look like caulking in the seams? or Grout?

I would start by digging it out and trying to get some kind of hook/pulling tool behind it to see if it wanted to move.

My guess is they put a few dobs of silicon on the frame and tipped it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back