replacement VS820C1274 gas valve for Burnham boiler

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMHmedchem

Reaction score
Hello,

The burner for the boiler has started having issues turning on, which means no heat. This is a natural gas boiler with forced hot water circulation. I guess that the boiler is about 25 years old.

The gas pressure is fine with the other appliances and the pilot is lit. The burner just doesn't respond to the thermostat. The temperature of the water in the tank is about 62F and the pressure is about 114 PSI. This boiler came with a bypass switch that can be used to manually activate the boiler in the event of a power outage. I tried this switch and nothing happened. I guessed that the issue is that the valve is not opening. I tapped on the top the the valve with the butt of a screwdriver and suddenly the burner came on. I have been able to turn it on twice this way but it is obviously not a long term solution, or even a very short term one.

I don't know if this is a part that can be cleaned and serviced, or if parts can be replaced, or if the valve needs to be replaced. I presume that this has a solenoid of some kind to open the valve and possibly this could be replaced.

I looked up the part number, VS820C1274, and there are some places that show this part in stock but it is very expensive. There are a number of similar looking parts that are less expensive. Other sites list this part as "obsolete" and give newer part numbers. Some of the parts listed as upgraded replacements are not nearly as expensive, but I have no idea if the part is correct or not, compatible with existing wiring, etc. It looks to me like the gas pipe that is inbound to the valve is 1/2".

I am looking for some information about a replacement part.

Does it make more sense to repair the current part or replace it?
Is the a newer part that I can use or do I need to use the same part as is currently on the boiler?
Can I get a less expensive part that is not a "cheaper" part if that makes any sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LMHmedchem

Last edited:
Back