Replacing Old Shutoff Valve with SharkBite

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefeather05

Reaction score
Have a few questions about the type of shutoff valve / plumbing that I have under one of our bathroom vanities. It is a older house (1969) and the shutoff valves and water line are original as you can see here: https://imgur.com/a/TCscdq6

My first question, is this shutoff valve soldered on? It doesn't appear to be a compression valve to me. If it is soldered I would need to get a autocut copper tubing cutter. On the sharkbite website it states for a standard 1/2" pipe you only need 15/16" of depth to install their shut off valve. And if I get 1.25" or a little less after cutting, that meets the specification. Do I have enough room on this to install a sharkbite?

My next question is the water line (highlighted in red in the picture) also appears to be copper. It is an older sink. One I replace the shutoff valve could I replace it with a more modern line for example braided stainless steel?

Attachments

• pipe3.png
    pipe3.png
    326.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Welcome.
Replace with a 1/4 turn solder ball valve angle stop and braided supply line.

#1, Make sure you have shut off the main water supply and opened up the fauset to relieve the pressure before doing anything.
No clue what an "auto cut" is.
If there's no room to swing a mini tubing cutter I'd be using a torch and a pair of vice grips to get it off.
There such a messy soldering job done that a torch and a wet cloth will make it far faster to remove some of that old solder.
It still would need to be sanded back to bare copper with some plumbers cloth no matter what type connector you use.
It was mine I'd use an angled compression 1/4 turn stop.
The Shark bites cost more and tend to turn as your trying to shut off the valve.
Yes on the flex line, they come in at least 4 different lenghts so get an idea on which one you need before buying, to long not an issue, to short not going to work.
Your also going to need a basin wrench to disconnect the line from the faucet.

#1, Make sure you have shut off the main water supply and opened up the fauset to relieve the pressure before doing anything.

That is one question I had, some videos I have watched said to turn off the water heater shut off valves as well as the main, is that necessary? I was just going to turn water off at the street using the main and a meter key.

Yes, you can turn the main off, but you need to relieve the pressure in the line. I would try to de-solder the old valve. It will take some time and heat unless you can get the water out of the line. You can unscrew the stem nut and pull the handle and stem out which should clear the line. I would also go with a new compression fitting valve after cleaning up the old pipe. Flex line would also be a good addition to the faucet.
Dave Mason

Back