Repurposing Orphaned Wall Switch for Ceiling Lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattinCA

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my ungrounded, 1956-built house, this switch used to control a receptacle below and 3' to the left on the same wall. Someone previously connected the wires so the receptacle is now always on, leaving the switch unconnected. I would like to use this J-box for a Lutron DVCL-153P dimmer to control recessed lights I will install in the ceiling. I don't want to just use the power that is already in the J-box to power the new lights because that 15amp circuit has a ton of stuff on it already; I would rather use the 15amp circuit in the attic above with almost nothing on it (and easy to connect the new lights from the attic). After connecting the recessed lights in the attic, I would just need to drop romex from the attic down to the J-box 4 feet below and connect the dimmer. But I still need to deal with the wires from the receptacle.

As you can see, the existing cable for the receptacle uses both knockouts in the top of the J-box, so I have to figure out how to get the new romex from the attic in there. I wonder would the best solution be to remove the J-box, splice the existing cables together with a romex splice kit, and replace the (now empty and available) J-box with the splice stuffed behind it (the J-box is 2" deep)?

If not, what would be a better solution?

Splice kits: CPGI-1116377-2LR Switch.gifLR Box.gifSplice Kit.gif

If you have the wall depth to replace the existing with a deeper single gang box, I would do so, and if not, a multi-gang box with a single device plaster ring, either of which will eliminate box fill concerns.

Follow-up question. As mentioned, my house is currently not grounded. I hope to rewire the house (with ground) in the next year or two. Since the new (deeper) J-box is plastic, can/should I just wire the dimmer with a switch loop for now and connect the ground from the romex to the ground on the dimmer after the new grounded system is installed?

Back