Revitalizing unfinished redwood beams

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baxterkix

Reaction score
Hi! I recently bought a house with unfinished redwood in the home, particularly ceiling beams. The home was built in 1961, and the beams are reclaimed telegraph poles. (It also has redwood paneling in some rooms). I'm painting just about everything surface in this bedroom, so I figure I'll try revitalizing these beams while I'm at it. There's not necessarily anything wrong with them, but they're a bit dull and and I would love to make them nice and shiny (so too speak) to match the rest of the room. Not painting or staining or anything like that, but maybe a good scrub with some kind of cleaner to brighten them up. But, I have no idea if that would do any good, or what product to use. Any suggestions?20210102_193555_HDR.jpg20210102_193614.jpg

Redwood is difficult to work with in terms of changing it's natural pentene, kinda like cedar.
You either like it the way it is or remove it.
Might try some tongue oil products or what about varnish/urethane for a shiny sheen?

Back