Roofed pergola plan feedback

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've often suggested that folks tell, the whole story, the 1st time.

So, had you posted the video, in post 13, as a courtesy, I, would have advised you, in much the same manner as BvilleBound has, instead of responding to the examples you initially post, which are an inaccurate depiction.

Which resulted in me, providing advise, which is, largely unnecessary, and inaccurate.

why a waste of time? Everything you posted works differently in Canada? or is the link to the US website is waste of time?
Sorry, but if Snoonyb is referring to my recommendations and the links to Simpson’s deck construction recommendations and products, construction engineering standards are universal, e.g. the IRC building code. Plus good designs and products work as well in Canada or Argentina as the USA. That said, Canada has definitely contributed to building science, particularly for building in cold climates, effective insulation, etc.

Sorry, but if Snoonyb is referring to my recommendations and the links to Simpson’s deck construction recommendations and products, construction engineering standards are universal, e.g. the IRC building code. Plus good designs and products work as well in Canada or Argentina as the USA. That said, Canada has definitely contributed to building science, particularly for building in cold climates, effective insulation, etc.
He was referring to my reference to THE BLUE BOOK, as a source for application professionals, WHICH DOES NOT HAVE AN ASSOCIATION WITH CANADA.

I've often suggested that folks tell, the whole story, the 1st time.

So, had you posted the video, in post 13, as a courtesy, I, would have advised you, in much the same manner as BvilleBound has, instead of responding to the examples you initially post, which are an inaccurate depiction.

Which resulted in me, providing advise, which is, largely unnecessary, and inaccurate.
Sorry about that, next time will do a proper initial post

Dear RGV: Thanks for the additional photos and video.

First, the tripled-up joists on the sides of the deck appear to rest on a post or maybe a double/tripled ‘king’ stud at the corner of the house. This would obviously provide strong support for that side of the deck. The framing is covered by the dark gray trim board, however. Can you see behind it or pry one of the boards back to check?

Second, I did not see the large heads of Simpson or other lag bolts used to fasten the ledger board to the house. They appear to have used standard nails or screws, driven deep into the wood. So this is an essential safety upgrade. See this data sheet and note the required installation pattern on page 2. You will need to measure your ledger board to buy the correct number of lag bolts: https://deckbuilderoutlet.com/simpsonledger.pdf

Simpson also makes decorative black brackets for decks that you could use to connect the framing of your new pergola. See:
https://www.strongtie.com/decorativehardware_woodconnectors/category

I hope this is helpful.
Can't check what is under the dark gray trim. Based on the height the ledger is attached to the floor so I believe it should be good enough support. Will add the bolts you advised

You can’t be too safe. When I was young and had my first apartment a second floor flat in the city. It was an old place that had a first and second floor front porch. I had a big party and invited the people downstairs as to not have them turn me in for noise. I was young and dumb and it was a warm summer night and people were out on my second floor porch. About 30 of them and sitting on the rails and dancing around.

The party went well and the next morning I was cleaning up and I went out on the porch and was shocked at what I saw. The porch had pulled out from the house a good two inches. I swear the only thing that kept it from falling off was the roof above and the columns.

It could have killed a bunch of people. :eek:

Back