room is in perpetual sunlight, dark or light color?

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by gghrt000, Sep 12, 2015.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Sep 12, 2015 #1

gghrt000

gghrt000

gghrt000

one of my room is actually on building corner and it actually has two on that corner and each of them are on opposite walls on the corner: as a result, it actually gets sunlight from sunrise to sunset. That means it can get prohibitely hot during summer times.

Currently painted with light color I am thinking to re-paint walls with darker color. Will it help? I think so, just because it seems like darker gives a feeling of cooler.

There is an issue of darker color surface receives more light than light color (specially true in terms of clothing: you wear darker and you feel hotter) but in terms of wall color i think it is opposite and most of sunlight does not shine on the walls.

2. Sep 12, 2015 #2

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Interesting. Yes darker colors will technically absorb more heat, but the layer of paint is so thin, it cannot store any heat. I don't know about the material behind the paint, but I doubt it is of any consequence.
    But you have answered your own question about the color: if you feel that darker colors are cooler in the room - and since it is your room - you should follow that feeling. I can imagine how bright the room can be if it is in full sun and a light color.

3. Sep 12, 2015 #3

kok328

kok328

kok328

A darker color will surely take some of the glare out of the room and being that your have an abundance of sunlight it will allow for a deeper tone of color.

4. Sep 14, 2015 #4

chrisn

chrisn

chrisn

Flat paint will(would) help