Rotted window sill question...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke232

Reaction score
I have a rotted window sill where about 20% of it is all rotted away in one corner; part of the bottom of the side trim is rotted as well.

How can I cover them up, or temporarily fix them to get me through the winter until I can fix them properly in the spring? I don't want water to get in there and get into the wall.

Depending on how large the damaged area is. You could cut out the damaged area, square it up and cut a piece of wood stock to fit in. You could also dig out the rotted and punky wood and fill the area with bondo. It's 2 part and sets up quickly but it's used on wood often. Patch and shape it then paint it and wait till spring.

Depending on how large the damaged area is. You could cut out the damaged area, square it up and cut a piece of wood stock to fit in. You could also dig out the rotted and punky wood and fill the area with bondo. It's 2 part and sets up quickly but it's used on wood often. Patch and shape it then paint it and wait till spring.
Great thanks for the suggestions. The thing is it's so cold here now (20's at night, 30's during the day) that I don't think I can do any painting or caulking. Bondo may be ok in the cold though...

I think you don’t want to do anything except keep the weather out of your house and the water out of your wall until spring. If wind or weather is making it into the house stuff something in the holes to block it. Outside just get some heavy plastic , old shower curtain etc and some gorilla tape and seal up the area and wait for warm weather and then fix it right as posted above.

Chances are if its taking on water for a number of years and it wont get much worse between now and spring and then you really need to investigate and solve all the problems.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Fabric stores sell clear vinyl sheet stock, tape that up for the winter, leave a few gaps in the bottom tape for moister to get out. This could turn into a bigger job than you might want to do right now.

Latest posts

Back