Samsung dryer, does this sound like idler or drum roller?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenstr

Reaction score
Recently had dryer apart to replace noisy drum roller, and when I took drum out I saw the idler wheel was toast too.

I still had my old one because I put new one in when doing rear drum rollers a couple years ago, and thought I may as well put new one in while I had it all apart and keep the old as spare.

As far as I can remember the old idler was still okay, but when I put it back together I get a squeaking squealing noise, which goes away after a few minutes, sometimes comes back for short periods, sometimes not.

I have a new idler assembly and am about to take apart again, but am wondering if I'm dealing with a bad roller or idler wheel.

I've attached a short video to see what anyone here might think it is - I'm thinking idler because roller usually makes a thumping sound, but I'm not 100% sure

What do you think?

Attachments

• Img 3396.mp4
    1.6 MB
To me, it sounds like the idler. Spray some lube on the rollers to see if the sound goes away.

Thanks for replies - my suspicions were correct, took the front off & removed the drum, the idler wheel showed a bit of resistance when I spun it on it's shaft, so put the new one in and it's all good now.

It may have went away on its own, seemed to be doing it less & less with each use. It was 2X as loud at first, but when I first put the dryer back together it made no noise at all, started about the 3rd load. I may see if I can pull the wheel off and free it up somewhat, will do for a spare for now.

If I were going to lube it I would use Tri Flow it is a Teflon lube that I think would be perfect on something like this.

Back