seam between entry door and brick knee wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmwest

Reaction score
You need a large jar of elbow grease, a paint scrapper, a utility knife and carefully remove all traces of the white caulk. Then, get some "Backer Rod" to fill the gap (you can find it at the big box stores). When everything is cleaned, color match the caulk with the brick. DO NOT USE SILICONE! Use a caulk that will stay flexible through it's life span. NP1, Dow 795, GE, Geocel are some caulks that work well caulking dissimilar surfaces and are available in colors.

Thanks, that was about what I was hoping for (i.e., not a major issue as-is, but correctable). I do have backer rod already. Thanks for the caulk recos, I have many tubes of caulk but I think it is almost all silicone.

Interestingly enough, my backer rod was made in Canada, packaged in Mexico and sold at an Ace Hardware in Minnesota by a company from Oklahoma. Thank you free trade.

...also, use some really sticky orange painter's tape and set it just outside your new caulk line. Once you apply the new caulking, pull the tape and you will have a straight line.

As on this video....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9-SNpBMkw[/ame]

You need a large jar of elbow grease, a paint scrapper, a utility knife and carefully remove all traces of the white caulk. Then, get some "Backer Rod" to fill the gap (you can find it at the big box stores). When everything is cleaned, color match the caulk with the brick. DO NOT USE SILICONE! Use a caulk that will stay flexible through it's life span. NP1, Dow 795, GE, Geocel are some caulks that work well caulking dissimilar surfaces and are available in colors.

Do you have a weblink to buy any of those caulks? I looked on amazon for Dow 795 and it was a silicone caulk, so I assume I don't know what to be looking for here. Thanks

You should also consider using another color rather than white. I'd probably go with a dark brown.

Actually, you can use any PAINTABLE caulk. The silicon caulk doesn't accept paint (unless it says so on the tube, but if you have any doubts, don't use it )

FWIW, I used Phenoseal indoors and out for years with good results. It's available almost everywhere.

Sika or Vulkem are the only two products I use to seal foundational gaps.

Latest posts

Back