Security Lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otahyoni

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
What do you guys use?

Heres one we have at the farm:
IMG_20120622_214228.jpg

:D

1k watt HID

I have some old sodium halide lights in my back yard and in the front I have three wall mount lights with fluorescent bulbs set up on a motion detector.

I had florescent bulbs in my motion light and they didnt last long at all...

Mine have lasted over a year now since I switched but they are not standard motion lights. These are regular porch lights that have been wired to a motion switch.

but looking to improve / more lights.
its pitch black out here (at night) and would like some additional lighting.
switched and motion.
suggestions?

I have a few sodium halide lights that will light up your place nicely if you want them for the cost of shipping.

They look similar to this one.

images

do they draw? or wattage of the bulb?
how many do you have?

OH, and thanks!

I was also wondering about the power consumption on those tanks?

I have three or four more. I will go out and look at the bulbs to see what they draw but I never noticed a difference on my bill but I only run one in my tiny yard here. I saved them from a job where I had to pull out about 50 of them from a christmas tree lot.

Those use about a 400 watt bulb, but they are HID. I'm not sure how much they draw but that 1000 watt monster only draws 4.8 amps on 240VAC...

I had to start using a flourescent bulb because any kind of motion could rattle the regular bulb and make the light go out by breaking the wires inside

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you guys, I will grab a bulb and look at the wattage today, I promise.

Back