Security System

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan to install a security system. Does anyone have a favorite? I'm very interested in outdoor cameras. I feel that the activation is the most important aspect. I think that 1080p is a fine image.

What is your budget? Starlight cameras have superior night vision abilities. Not all cameras or brands are created equal. I’ve recently been down this rabbit hole and wish you luck on your journey. I have yet to make a decision myself.

I’ve had ADT for about ten years and just moved so we switched to Simplisafe. I liked ADT’s equipment and service, but not the install fees when we moved 3 times, the $55+ monthly fee, and $300 cancellation fee.
I maybe paid $400 for a really good package while it was on sale at Simplisafe. They have a lot of accessories, and you can always add more if needed in the future. I added another keypad and cameras, and it’s all wireless and you can install it yourself.
They do have a case for the cameras for outdoor installation. I don’t have any outdoor cameras, (yet), so I can’t speak to their picture quality, but you use the same camera for the interior and it’s sharp! The cameras also have one way speakers, unlike ADT, so you can hear anything while the camera is activated.
I haven’t set the alarm off, so I have only dealt with customer service once. I wanted to test a panic button, so I hit test, and before I could touch the panic, my phone rang and it was SS asking if I put my system on test. Very fast.
There are quite a few DIY systems out there, so it’ll be good to hear other suggestions.

Back