Septic Leaching Field

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corbins

Reaction score
I have a mountain lot and when I build someday, I’ll need to install a septic system. How flat or what is the maximum slope the leach field can be on? I’m looking for % of grade. I don’t have the soil type yet, I’m hopping for just a rough idea.

In most cases there will be no "guessing" on this one.
Before even buying a lot I would have hired a soil scientist to see if the lot would even perk for a septic system.
In the last three places I've lived a system had to be designed, then you had to get approval from the health dept.

Almost everything you need to know can be found here.

https://inspectapedia.com/septic/Septic-Drainfield-Size.php

Perforated septic drainfield pipes are placed in gravel-filled trenches across the slope line of sloped property (so that all of the effluent doesn't simply rush down to and leak out at the end of the drain line pipe).
Drainfield trench piping slope specifications: While some experts describe the bottom of these trenches as "level" in practice they are dug to slope slightly, perhaps 1/8" per foot or less.

Every place is different. But answer your question the leach field is generally pretty level. If you are on a slope you would normally put it going across the slope to keep it more level.

Normally when you start with the health dept or whoever has jurisdiction when you do your perk test or observation they will tell you where to put the leach field for the most part. In my experiences I can make a recommendation and if it works they will let me use that area or we will have to try another spot.

I've never heard of one for a home but sounds neat. Not that I would buy one but neat.

I was selling a lot after the house burned down, over on the island. Contractors that wanted to buy it could get past the sewer problem. I talked to a sewer engineer and he told me if I had house plans including this system, the city would pass that.
So I had a duplex drawn up with this system and got another 30,000 for the lot.
I never saw the system but I think it is a couple tanks with pumps and such in it.

Back