sewage coming up in kitcen sink when clothes washer or dishwasher is on

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevexxx

Reaction score
sewage coming up in kitchen sink when clothes washer or dishwasher is on

we have a small/tiny spoon inside the garbage disposal, the disposal still works like it's not completely jammed up however since we get sewage whenver the clothes washer or dishwasher is on.

we had a plumber a few years ago run a snake down behind the clothes washer I think 25' that didn't help.
we have a plumbing access port on the outside of house which is in-between the clothes washer, dishwasher and sink plumber was able to relief and pull out some slugde which cured the blockage.
what I've been doing is inserting the sinks stopper sealing the sewage from coming up in sink where the disposal is this has been doing the trick untill now I observe sewage coming up though the other small side of sink.

I intend on dismantling the disposal and removing the small spoon, it's like half a teaspoon however been putting it off because certain people can't comprehend to not put small stuff in that big sink in favor of the small sink where there's no disposal.

please recommend how to resolve this sewage from coming up.
attached curd drawing of the plumbing. thanks for advice.plumbing blockage.jpg

sewage coming up in kitchen sink when clothes washer or dishwasher is on

please recommend how to resolve this sewage from coming up.

Disconnect disposal. Have a lot of towels handy.
For $16 buy a small inflatable drain stopper & plug up one or the other of the washer drain or disposal drain. Use a tire pump to inflate the thing.
In one drain, put in a garden hose & use packed rags as a gasket & give it a brief blast at your 6 gallons per minute. The hose might push back at you, be prepared.

I did this & one time chopped vegetables came out on the roof so I had to also plug the 10' vent pipe.
This just meant that the clog was resisting 5 PSI or so, but it could not resist the 50 PSI from the water supply.

This fix is convenient, cheap & lasts a good long time. No plumber, no chemicals.

It's probably a sludge buildup which needs to be removed periodically. Snakes most often just make a small hole through the sludge. My situation is different from your sketch. My soil pipe is a straight run from the cleanout to the septic tank (with kitchen and utility room being the first entries) . When the clothes washer would begin to present suds to the utility room and kitchen sinks I would remove the cleanout plug and run a garden hose 10' or so into the soil pipe. I would move the hose around and in/out quite a bit with full water force (sometimes I would uses hot water). At first some grease sludge would come back out of the soil pipe until it was cleared.

It hasn't happened in a long time so I don't know if it's because laundry detergents now don't make suds or because I try not to let grease go down the drain. I probably should do it again next spring.

It's probably a sludge buildup which needs to be removed periodically. Snakes most often just make a small hole through the sludge. My situation is different from your sketch. My soil pipe is a straight run from the cleanout to the septic tank (with kitchen and utility room being the first entries) . When the clothes washer would begin to present suds to the utility room and kitchen sinks I would remove the cleanout plug and run a garden hose 10' or so into the soil pipe. I would move the hose around and in/out quite a bit with full water force (sometimes I would uses hot water). At first some grease sludge would come back out of the soil pipe until it was cleared.

It hasn't happened in a long time so I don't know if it's because laundry detergents now don't make suds or because I try not to let grease go down the drain. I probably should do it again next spring.
what is the cleanout plug and the soil pipe? I'll post some images of the disposol. thanks

Disconnect disposal. Have a lot of towels handy.
For $16 buy a small inflatable drain stopper & plug up one or the other of the washer drain or disposal drain. Use a tire pump to inflate the thing.
In one drain, put in a garden hose & use packed rags as a gasket & give it a brief blast at your 6 gallons per minute. The hose might push back at you, be prepared.

I did this & one time chopped vegetables came out on the roof so I had to also plug the 10' vent pipe.
This just meant that the clog was resisting 5 PSI or so, but it could not resist the 50 PSI from the water supply.

This fix is convenient, cheap & lasts a good long time. No plumber, no chemicals.
got a link or image of the $16 buy a small inflatable drain stopper.I don't have a tire pump been meaning to get one to keep in car I just found out I can pump car tires that are low. I do have an 12VDC tire compressor I keep in car but it's so slow.
yes we have a a 2" diameter pipe about 10' though the roof, the old plumber we had used to snake from there all the way out to street sewage pipe, once every two years
this hasn't been done in 15 years since the old plumber retired. thanks

Does the dishwasher discharge through the garbage disposal?yes This is typical. If so, is there an air gap or high loop on the dishwasher discharge line? not sure I'll post a image Tomorow.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/blogs/blog/what-is-a-dishwasher-air-gap
Do you know the size of your clothes washer drain line?1 1/2" maybe not bigger than 2"How is it vented? it comes out of washers bottom section up 3' u-turn down into the washers drain pipeYour clothes washer should have a 2" drain line.yes
the last plumber that snaked from outside port, (thats actually the first time that port had ever been snaked in 35 years) an released a little sludge.
he also added some electrical tape around the washers drain tube right at the u-turn into the washers drain tube making a seal of the two pipes.
thanks for advice I post images, I would be snakeing from outside port however I can't find the snake lately stuffs been coming up missing, dam who runs off w/ a smeely snake.hopefully it will turn up.
I'll study up on the air gap. thanks edit I answered your ?s above in bold

by the code ,Just so that you know the kitchen sink should be independent of all other fixture, same for the clothes washer, both should go to a main soil stack or main building drain , Who ever did the drains did not do a good job, also both should be two inches,

by the code ,Just so that you know the kitchen sink should be independent of all other fixture, same for the clothes washer, both should go to a main soil stack or main building drain , Who ever did the drains did not do a good job, also both should be two inches,
yes unfortchantly the home was built before codes where codes.

I just looked at the disposal there's a 1" diameter convoluted tube coming out of dishwasher going into the top part of disposal.
if I remember correctly when the disposal was clogged a few years back I filled the sink w/ water turned on disposal then pressed a buttom under the disposal and it unclogged itself.
however right now it's not clogged.

as for retrieving the small spoon w/ long needle nose I can't see the spoon.I do remember using a allen wrench I think I was rotating the internals of disposal where I could see and retrieve the spoon.
thanks for any advice

yes garburators have a special key to back up the innards . it looks like this
1641847996502.png

go in th
please refresh my memory how I used that allen wrench. and that button on bottom of disposal.
thanks
go in to the cabinet under the sink . lie on your back, right in the center of the garburator there a place to install the Allen key at the bottom.

And some Disposalls reverse direction to unjam each time they start. I guess it mostly works.

Back