Sewage smell outside

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelsey

Reaction score
We are starting to have the occasional warmer weather right now (Alberta, Canada), and every time it warms up our exterior discharge line for the sump pump smells like sewage. Once it gets colder again, the smell goes away. There isn't usually a smell inside, just the line outside. The pipe goes into the ground to tie into the house's drainage system. We also have a backwater valve close to that area (in the basement), in case that's important. Any ideas as to what might be wrong? Any easy fixes we should try before hiring a plumber?

When you say the house's drainage system, do you mean the sewage system or storm water system?

I'm guessing the storm water system, but I won't lie, I'm not 100% sure. I don't know what's normally done. I know the sewer line must be close to there as that's what the backwater valve would be attached to. But the sewage smell is definitely coming from the pipe in the ground that the sump pump discharge pipe goes into, as the smell gets stronger as you get close to it.

Here's a picture of the setup..

Attachments

• 1520985561999998005090.jpg
    1520985561999998005090.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 16
Do you have a good seal on the pipes? Is that "Y" capped off or open?

The Y isn't capped; I can feel the pipe going down when I reach in there. The top looks different to me (picture attached), but it doesn't look really sealed, unless there's some sort of special seal inside there that I can't see.

Attachments

• 1520985977404440991385.jpg
    1520985977404440991385.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 14
If the "Y" isn't capped, that's probably where the odor is coming from. You could cap it off, but you need a vent or vents somewhere. Normally the sewer vent stack is plumbed to the roof, where the odor isn't noticed (unless your'e on the roof I guess).

It appears as though the upside down "Y" is a safety device to prevent backflow.If so a water primed trap may cure the oder.
In the photo in post #6, is the 2" tight or loose in the reducer bushing?

So they ran a sump into the sewer with out enough venting so they added the Y so the traps would not be sucked dry.
You need another place to run the sump water.

In our town that would get me in trouble with the city. Is there a storm drain?

Back