Siding Project

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilkMan

Reaction score
The cedar shake siding around the house is in dire need of replacing. I am thinking about using LP Smart siding, but I am curious about a house wrap. A lot of the felt paper below the cedar siding still looks good, I will still probably rip it off to replace and make sure there aren't issues below it that need to be fixed as I go but what should I put back on?

I was thinking about going back on with 30# felt paper since it has held up really well but I am curious would Tyvek be better? Would it be better to go ahead and replace the with 30# felt and then do a layer of taped Tyvek over the felt since I hear that Tyvek is the better air (wind) break where as felt is a better weather barrier, plus if I go Tyvek over felt, I won't be in such a rush to get siding up since felt doesn't do well in the sunlight? This house is really old, the original house was constructed in 1863 and added on from there, no OSB and the house obviously isn't that tight, if that plays into the matter at all.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate all of your replies.

If is was mine the old tar paper would have to go and be replaced with Tyvek.
If your going to all this trouble now's the time to up grade any wiring, add insulation, and have the windows wrapped to help make it as maintaince free as possible.

Back