Slope on 2nd floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoustWilliams

Reaction score
PXL_20210114_022820161.jpg
This is the 2nd floor of a 3 story townhouse. The main part of the room is about 30' x 13'. There is a point that is about 5' from the middle of the room, lengthwise, where the floor slopes up about 3/8" over 4' and then very gradually slopes down the other side of the high point. This high point runs just about the entire 13' width of the room. Is it possible that this is due to one joist that is slightly higher than the rest? Would it be possible for someone to gently pull up the tile around the high point, get underneath, trim the joist, and then re-apply the tile? Could that potentially be a difficult and expensive fix? Would that all be worth it for 3/8"?

How noticeable is it, and how much do you care? Does it have that solid feel of a joist, or does the raised area compress down when you put a lot of weight on it?

If it's really driving you nuts, then I guess it might be worthwhile to do something about it. I would think the first step would be to see what's the actual cause of the problem. Others here have more experience than me and might say how to do that.

BTW, all I can tell from the picture is that your townhouse looks very comfy and neat. I can't really see a bump.

I would want to know how this is happening. How old is the townhouse? Pulling up part of the tile is not practical. You would have to remove all of the tile.

Back