Smoke Alarms

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIAM

Reaction score
What are you all putting in your garages? I am concerned that smoke from welding might trigger a conventional smoke alarm. My shop will be 28x50 with a 12 foot ceiling.

I've never thought about a smoke detector in a garage... if I'm not in it, I won't hear an alarm either, so seems it'd need to be a remotely monitored variety.

--Bushytails

That is a very true point Bushytails but always better safe than sorry. I'm sure would agree after your heater mishap that I just read about.

Aren't you supposed to 'check' them every few months or something? Can someone tell me what that entails?

The standard test is to push the test button. A yearly test might be to hold a bit of smoldering newspaper up to it.

--Bushytails

I'm a low voltage contractor and install commerical fire alarms and home security systems. I always had rather install heat detectors in garages because of the problem with dirt, dust and smoke from cars, mowers and gas powered yard tools. They trigger by temperature at 135 degrees, instead of smoke.

Without a home security system to tie into, I'm not aware of a stand alone heat detector.:(

I have a explosive gas/CO alarm. I figured if I wasn't there to hear a smoke alarm it wouldn't do any good, but the CO might keep me from suffocating.

The standard test is to push the test button. A yearly test might be to hold a bit of smoldering newspaper up to it.

--Bushytails

Yeah I agree. Proper testing of the smoke alarm will help. But I think over sensitive alarms is very annoying. Alarm should work properly. :D

I like the ideas of the heat and co2 sensors. I'd never really thought about anything in the garage, but I'll bet more fires start in garages than just about anyplace else in the home.

Although bad cooks could account for a lot of kitchen fires!

I also didn't thought of putting up an alarm on the garage. I usually put it inside the house. Our garage is not that far the main door anyway.

Latest posts

Back