Smoothing out lines where paint was scraped

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulardad

Reaction score
Hi all,

The base boards along my staircase had a fair amount of loose paint which I scraped off. So of course, at the point where I stop, there is a line between the area I scraped and the area I didn’t.

I sanded along these lines to try to make them a smooth as possible before I repainted. I am attaching a picture of one that hasn’t been repainted and one that has. I’m wondering if there is a better way to try to smooth out these lines before I paint the rest of them.

Note that I had only put one coat of new paint on the “after” picture, and I am sure at least the overall color would be more consistent once I do a second coat, but I imagine the line will still be fairly visible.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Walking up the stairs, it doesn’t really jump out at you, but of course, it bugs me a little bit because I know it’s there.IMG_1623.jpegIMG_1624.jpeg

It's really not that bad. After all, no one is going to be looking at it from that angle. I suppose you could use a little wood putty or even drywall mud to fill and taper it if you really want to. After it's painted it should look fine.

It's really not that bad. After all, no one is going to be looking at it from that angle. I suppose you could use a little wood putty or even drywall mud to fill and taper it if you really want to. After it's painted it should look fine.
Thanks! I have both wood putty and drywall mud. Do you think one would be better than the other?

If the Mfr. instructions say that it can be applied in very thin layer, then I would go with wood putty. But I'm not sure that wood putty can be feathered so thin. That's why I mentioned mud. The best of both worlds might be something like Henry's Feather Finish or something similar.

Or, you could spend more time with 220 grit, then prime, which will reveal any flaws.

My preference over the years was to thoroughly sand, wood filler. sand smooth, prime, then paint.

Back