So I made a rookie mistake installing hardiebacker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
Well, im not sure if its a mistake but it does not look right. When i was putting the Hardiebacker down on the thinset I started from the left to the right which seamed fine at the time, the problem i came across is when I layed the second sheet down there is about a 1" space between the hardiebacker and the tub.

I pre-cut and layed the board first and made sure it fit, but then during the install i guessed it would be right and didnt check it until it was too late.

What should I do to secure the space from water, can I fill it with silicone? should I leave it alone? Thanks

2013-02-13 17.34.02.jpg

2013-02-13 17.34.07.jpg

Thanks Neal, would you recommend morter instead of silicone? I'll have to buy a new bag just for this little gap, unless i fill it when I install the tile.

I would just mix up a little the day before you tile. And that will give others time to give you other thoughts.;)

sounds like a plan, if I started with the part against the tub it would have been fine. The other section slid under the drywall which i didn't notice until i put the piece against the tub and then it was too late as I put down the first piece i nailed it in and then moved on to the next piece.

I wont do it that way next time...

If you are using 12 x 12 tile or something like that you will have no problem. You can fill it the day before you do the tile or just use extra thinset there as you lay the tile. It will be extremely difficult to put any load on the tile that close to the tub. If your sub floor is stable you should be fine.

I wouldnt thinset right to the tub you still want like 3/16th away or tub will make the thinset crack. Im shore its done by now though.

Then use silicone after you grout.

Leave a grout width space from your tile to the tub when you lay it and get the caulking that is color matched to your grout to fill the space. Then you will not have the cracking problem at the tub edge. They sell it color matched where you buy your grout.

Thanks, i haven't done anything yet, I'm waiting on some other projects before i complete the tile. Ill fill the gap but leave a space and fill it with silicone.

Back