Spiders

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfmucci

Reaction score
How many others have spiders in their garage, run into cobwebs or get bitten by the critters?

Do any of you use an electric ultrasonic critter control device such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHJG8CW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The review of these devices on Amazon are mostly 4 stars and higher. But admittedly many reviews are in English as a second language which draws some suspicion.

So I'm asking garage aficionados their experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, they don't work.

I've had 4 of them plugged into my vacation home for the last 10 years and the dumb mice crap on them, and the spider webs are all over them.

Nothing beats good old chemicals. I am trying to concrete all around mine to make it even easier.

Lots of wildlife in the garage. Lizards, snakes, spiders, mice. Had noticed mouse droppings and set traps but they never sprung. One day I found a rat snake. Guess that's what happened to the mouse. We have wolf spiders, you can google it, they get big. They eat other insects like roaches. One big happy eco-system. Until they get into the house then its chemical warfare.

We have wolf spiders, earwigs and mormon crickets. Earwigs were giving us a problem in the house so we hired a company to come out and I had them do my garage and shop too. No more live critters. I didn't know how many I had in there until I saw the piles of dead ones. Much nicer and nothing crawling on me.

Mormon crickets? Do they wear suits and ties and ride around on little bicycles?

That SOB has a sword coming out his butt!

Then you might want to stay away from that end?

Trust me, the only contact I'd have with that ugly bugger is the sole of my boot.

I'm really getting tired of wolf spiders. Seems they like to come in and die while grasping the handle of every tool I own.

I've never seen one. Take a pic of one for me Chris.

I'm about to buy 20 more chickens. They are the best bug control available.

I hung 2 bunches of Sweet Annie AKA Sweet Wormwood and haven't seen a spider since.

I like spiders in my house. For one thing, they're cool. For another thing, they kill other less welcome bugs. I would never actively try to deter spiders in a way that doesn't deter bugs generally (keeping doors closed, installing screens in windows that are frequently opened, etc.).

Sometimes I am called upon by other members of my household to kill spiders; if the targeted spider is in an out-of-the-way place I will outright refuse. If it is in an in-the-way place I will always first attempt to trap the spider and release it outside. Killing them is a last resort only.

Our house is kept pretty clean so we don't get that many bugs in the first place.

Back