Discussion in 'Tools' started by thomask, Feb 18, 2012.
Anyone got a way to get these out without damaging the mag lite?
I had this problem before. I found that the batteries swelled up and would not come out of the flashlight. The acid that leaked from the batteries corroded themselves to the aluminum housing of the flashlight. By the time I got them out the flashlight was damaged. In the end, the frustration was not worth the hassle compared to the cost of a new flashlight. Good Luck.
Well they are out but it took most of an hour.
Used vinegar to clean out housing and need to get some new batteries.
Get good batteries and don't leave them in too long...
I got the terralux led upgrade and run AA rechargeables with an adapter.
I Change once a year and put small amount of wd40 with rag on battery before I install them . Even if the battery are good because I keep my mag lights in my cars and I am afraid the heat from the summer may make the battery leak.
has worked for the last ten years on three lights.
Update: New c cells added to mag lite , no light.
Last week I took mag lite to battery store and they tried with no success. Any thoughts on repair. Bulb is ok, batteries new, no light?
Your corroded batterys likely dammaged the switch.
The vinegar didn't help, it could have added to corrosion of copper parts.
The battery disintegration could have damaged o rings.
You could send light in for repair or take it apart yourself, its not working so if your repair attempt ruins it, its still not working.
It's a simple series circuit: batt + through light through switch and into batt - terminal, plus there are all the connections between these three components.
The problem is you can't get inside the flashlight when assembled to check the voltages at each point or current flow.
Using unbent paper clips you can make a circuit with your batteries and lamp; if it works then you have narrowed down the possibilities somewhat. It's easy but it is also unlikely to be the problem.
If you check the switch inside the flashlight you should use a test light that passes an amp or so through the switch. This means the bulb inside the test light is incandescent and not an LED. Most ohmmeters only pass a few mA through the device under test.
I guess you could wrap the next batteries in wax paper.
On pulling the batteries out I guess you could drill a pilot hole for a lag screw, run the screw through one battery at a time and try to extract it.
To hold the case you might be able to use one of these Chinese finger trap things that are used on service entrance cables. They look like a mesh and the harder you pull the tighter they clamp down on a section of cable but the clamping force is distributed.
Thanks all for the replies. I do feel the problem is probably in the switch. Can this be replaced?
You may be able to mount one of these
but you may lose the water/weather resistance of the flashlight.
Try Hosfelt or Allelectronics, online.
50-50 that replacing the switch works.
Any one or more of several inaccessible connections inside the flashlight that depend on spring pressure may be flaky.
That's the problem with low resistance circuitry like flashlights, thermocouples and 12v lighting circuits that use 50w bulbs, but even bolted connections have a non-zero contact resistance.
Check that link, instructions on replacing switch.
In future, removing severly swelled corroded batteries, Drill thru bottom of battery, pry out metal bottom, use spade bit in ratchet and socket to hollow out battery. Thin screw drivers, needle nose pliers to remove case. Do not use vinegar. Solution of baking soda and water, soap and water, and/or, PB Blaster.
The OP can also go on Candlepower Forums.
Those guys love flashlights and guns; one throws photons, the other throws lead pellets.
Spray photons with PB Blaster, they come out of model 1847 Colt Revolver ( Walker Colt) with extra power, knocks Klingons onto both of their backside. Do not get PB on black powder, causes ammo to spin opposite direction of rifling in barrel, warping space-time continuum, killing your grandfater before you were born, vinegar on percussion caps causes Maglites to emit darkness instead of light.
Separate names with a comma.