Quantcast

Subfloor in the way of new door frame

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Supaju

Reaction score
20200119_122938.jpg 20200119_122957.jpg 20200119_122932.jpg
I want to install a 32" door (I have the slab) in this 36" opening between the finished basement hallway and the unfinished furnace room. So I'm thinking I'll frame the doorway to fit by adding a couple king studs to narrow the frame. I understand I'd need to nail some sole plates to the concrete floor, then toe nail the studs to the sole plates and head plates.

Problem is the existing basement subfloor seems to run halfway through the door opening. I think this is plywood or OSB over DMX. So I'm not sure if I should A) attempt to remove the subfloor in the way, or B) try to frame around the floor. If A, then should I try and cut in place or do I need to remove a large portion of the subfloor and reinstall up to the wall? If B) do I cut my sole plates in half width and butt them up against the subfloor? Or should I just cut a 1x1 notch out of the end of a stud and then run that stud right from the concrete floor up to the top plate?

Pictures attached. Really hoping you get this and thanks for the help!

Snoonyb

Reaction score
Welcome.
The existing opening may have been left that size so the equip. could be removed and replaced, a good thing to verify.

Is the door going to be a swing-in or a swing out?

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
It looks like you should notch the bottom of the new studs to fit around the subfloor.

And also notch the new jambs, if you don’t hang the door directly off the studs.

But first, razor cut away any carpet and padding that would be in the way of the studs or jambs resting directly on the plywood.

Then make or buy a nice transition piece or threshold, to ease that abrupt change in floor level

Supaju

Reaction score
Welcome.
The existing opening may have been left that size so the equip. could be removed and replaced, a good thing to verify.

Is the door going to be a swing-in or a swing out?
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check sizes of furnace etc.

Swing in door for sure, no room in the hallway but lots in the utility room. I think I can mount it so that it closes flush to the carpet?

Supaju

Reaction score
A 32 inch slab fits in a 34" jam.. Just to clarify.
You don't need a plate under a single stud or board.
Ok good to know. Note that I gain an inch when I remove the existing trim there but yes it's pretty close already.

Supaju

Reaction score
It looks like you should notch the bottom of the new studs to fit around the subfloor.

And also notch the new jambs, if you don’t hang the door directly off the studs.

But first, razor cut away any carpet and padding that would be in the way of the studs or jambs resting directly on the plywood.

Then make or buy a nice transition piece or threshold, to ease that abrupt change in floor level
Sounds like a plan. So I notch the studs but don't attach to the concrete? I can probably nail them to the existing studs and maybe toenail up top into the head plate? Not a load bearing wall at all and the door slab is hollow so I'm not really concerned about weight.

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
No need to toenail anything.
Maybe bang a few extra nails through existing hinge side stud into whatever is behind it, to verify good attachment.

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
If reduced door opening will hinder future appliance pass through, you can always mount the new studs on screws, easy to pop everything off someday.

Latest posts