Suggestions for hanging fixture?

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by TheHammer, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1

TheHammer

TheHammer

TheHammer

I've had an antique dental light fixture rewired for use in a guest bath. I want to hang the fixture from a 12' ceiling, but I don't like the look of chain. It weighs about 10 pounds... not very heavy, but not light either. I do like the simple look of just the cord, but the existing cord probably isn't strong enough (or safe). Anyone have a suggestion? Anyone know of a load-bearing 'sheath' that the cord run through? Thanks.

2. Sep 6, 2007 #2

Kerrylib

Kerrylib

Kerrylib

Take a look at the cable used for low voltage cable lights. It would be more than strong enough. Mount a good solid anchor into the ceiling joists, then bring your power cable through a cover on a pancake box adjacent to the mounting point. Spiral the wire around the cable to get to your fixture.

3. Sep 7, 2007 #3

TheHammer

TheHammer

TheHammer

Thanks for the suggestion K... you're not suggesting powering through the low voltage cable, right? I am hoping to find something jacketed wiht enough rated strength to do the job. Alternatively, I could use a braided sleeve (though not sure how that would look). I keep seeing hanging fixtures that are hanging from the cord... the fixtures appear heavy and the cords look like they are coated with a thick, plastic jacket. I don't even know what to call this kind of cord in order to google it. Any more help will be appreciated!

4. Sep 27, 2007 #4

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Hello Hammer:
    I would use SJ cable which is often used for extension cords. It comes in 14-3 and 12-3 wire sizes; 12-3 being the heaviest. Use knots in the cord or cable clamps but be sure you don't overtighten; the wire could be damaged.
    Glenn