Under Slab Vents with water in Northern US

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering why you had a 7 ft ceiling, my guess is the city made them raise the floor to keep the heat ducts above the drain tile.
If they knew he was going deeper they would have called for it to have it's own weeping tile system. Somebody cheated.

I was wondering why you had a 7 ft ceiling, my guess is the city made them raise the floor to keep the heat ducts above the drain tile.
If they knew he was going deeper they would have called for it to have it's own weeping tile system. Somebody cheated.

From the Seattle residential building code;1208.2 Minimum ceiling heights. Occupiable spaces, habitable spaces and corridors shall have
2 a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet 6 inches (2286 mm). Bathrooms, toilet rooms, kitchens,3 storage rooms and laundry rooms shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm).

From the Seattle residential building code;1208.2 Minimum ceiling heights. Occupiable spaces, habitable spaces and corridors shall have
2 a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet 6 inches (2286 mm). Bathrooms, toilet rooms, kitchens,3 storage rooms and laundry rooms shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm).

Yes that is the new code but there are acceptations for beams and such and they can be 78"

Up here they still use 80" for doors, stairs and drops.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/explaining-ceiling-heights-under-the-international-building-code

If I was going to dig it up and repair it I would also consider drainage.
Drain tile around the duct and change to solid pipe, straight out the front under the footing, two feet away from the footing turn and tie into the drain near the front porch.
I would do most in solid pipe so you are not changing the moisture content of the dirt supporting the footing.

Back