Unknown stuff on top of water heater

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yod12

Reaction score
Anyone know what this is on top of this water heater?Stuff on top of water heater.jpg

A more panoramic photo may be enlightening.

You can check if a candle flame is drawn toward the vent when the heater is on. Maybe your vent is partially blocked.

Get at least one CO detector. Defender makes some that alarm at really low levels.

Last edited:
You have a back draft, i suspect that your house has a negative air pressure.
I would suggest installing a fresh air intake equal in size to the chimney exhaust

"there should be 50 cubic feet of air per 1,000 BTUs required by the appliance" for adequate combustion air.

Opening an exterior door that is at first difficult & then you have an inrush of air means you have a slight vacuum in the house, so probably the "air balance" is not right. There is a local cafe that has this pretty bad, you can hardly open the exit door.

With more clues you can narrow down the root cause.

Sometimes replacing a conventional furnace that vents out the chimney with a high efficiency one that vents out of pvc will affect the water heater draft.
The furnace is no longer helping to create a strong chimney draft.
Also, using a range hood or bath fans can create negative air pressure in the house.

A higher resolution photo would be helpful, but when I loaded your photo into Photoshop, zoomed in and optimized, the stuff on top of your water heater appears to be brown and granular -- similar to old vermiculite insulation. Check the opening above for the exhaust pipe, and see if this substance is on the surface. Also check your attic; it may have fallen down from above.

If your home does have vermiculite insulation, that would be an even bigger problem -- because vermiculite contains asbestos, a known carcinogen.

Mark

We have no idea what the exhaust pipe from the WH is connected to but it is likely run to a chimney that is used or was used for the homes heating. That chimney could have at one time been used for gas, oil even coal.

The WH does not run continually and will only draft properly when hot fumes are passing up it. The rest of the time if there isn’t something else sending heated gas up it there may or may not be a little draft.

Around here many homes have had their older gas furnaces replaced with high efficiency and the exhaust has been switched from a hot draft chimney to a fan driven PVC pipe exhaust out the side of the house. Now they have a massive brick chimney that only is there for the WH.

Strong winds can cause back drafts as can negative pressures from house exhaust fans. Homes used to breath but now windows, doors and insulating systems are sealed pretty tight and there is not a lot of makeup air. Drafty is not a word you hear a lot these days.

My guess is these crumbs are being back blown out of the chimney and likely accumulated on the lining of the flue over many years. I get gritty dust around mine as well not quite as bad and I wipe it off when I see it.

Back