Use epoxy on sill plate?

Discussion in 'Framing and Foundation' started by kwerk, Oct 29, 2010.

  1. Oct 29, 2010 #1

    kwerk

    kwerk

    kwerk

    Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2010
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    I found a small section of sill plate where the bottom is rotted. Can I fill this with epoxy wood filler? Will epoxy take the weight?

    You can't see from the picture but the section is about 16" long and the rot goes back in a wedge shape 1/2 to 2/3 the way under the bottom of the 2x4 sill. It looks ok from the inside the basement. There will be the weight of a deck bearing down on the sill after it is fixed. Is epoxy strong enough for that weight?

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Oct 29, 2010 #2

    inspectorD

    inspectorD

    inspectorD

    Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2005
    Messages:
    4,502
    Likes Received:
    267
    Looks like it is just where a piece of bark was attached to the wood .
    If you poke in and your screwdrivergoes into the wood easily, you may have woodpests.
    Otherwise just pack it with a little nonshrink grout (mortar) and you will be fine.
     
  3. Oct 29, 2010 #3

    kwerk

    kwerk

    kwerk

    Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2010
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    The picture does not show how bad it is, only the back 1/3 of the sill is in contact with the foundation for this 16" section, just enough for the floor joist not to sink. I scraped a lot of rotted wood out. The rot was from a leaking deck ledger.
     
  4. Nov 5, 2010 #4

    itsreallyconc

    itsreallyconc

    itsreallyconc

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2009
    Messages:
    288
    Likes Received:
    2
    google up the ' west ' system
     
  5. Nov 7, 2010 #5

    kwerk

    kwerk

    kwerk

    Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2010
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    I used abatron liquid wood, and wood epox and it seems to have worked fine. Supposed to have compressive strength of 5500 psi. I also sprayed borate in there after scraping out the rot, and allowed it to dry thoroughly.
     

Share This Page