vaulted ceiling?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Mine

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked before, as I didn't get good search results. I have limited carpentry skills, being an electrician by trade. In an unfinished garage, I planned on beefing up my ceiling joists (currently 2x6s 32" on center) by adding 2x4s perpendicular to those, 16" on center. With that, a carpenter friend of mine claims I could remove the joists entirely, and add (excuse the potentially wrong terminology) ridge ties (horizontal supports a foot or two below the ridge) at every rafter. In addition to the added ridge ties, I would instal 2x4 inserts above the wall caps in every other stud bay. Nail these down to the wall, and from each stud bay. In doing so, I would be making a vaulted ceiling, which for my brewery would look amazing. My only concern is, does this seem like enough support to hang drywall on? If so, am I ok to use 1/2", as it will be on 16" centers? Or am I best off using 5/8"? I'm in a catch 22, as I'm balancing structural support with weight. Another potential concern would be moisture. We put off a decent bit with our setup, and though we will have a ventilation system running, should i be concerned about moisture inside the bays? Any help would be amazing. Pictures to follow if needed, and after all is done, to boast
~Cheers~

The only person qualified to answer your question would be a structural engineer. I have no idea what type of roof you have, but the weight of it just may cause the complete collapse if you were to remove the joists.

Latest posts

Back