Vents for vertical walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68bucks

Reaction score
So I'm working on correcting an attic venting problem that has led to condensation and mold. I have about all the soffit vents opened now and that should correct my main issue I think but there is one more thing I'd like to do.
In that attic there is a cupola with a window on each side. Moisture want to collect there since it's the high point so I'd like to get some venting there also. Does anyone know of a weather tight vent that can be installed in a vertical wall? I can't vent through the roof of the cupola due to its construction but if I could install a small vent or 2 in the wall up there that might do the trick, any ideas?

The whole point of a cupola is to act as an exhaust vent.
Yes they are pretty, but they are meant to be functional.

If yours does not have vents or louvers in the side walls, then why was it put up there, just for looks?

Look at cupolas on Google, you will see that most have louvered sides.
You can make the louvers deep and steep and close together, with insect screening on the inside.

And you can add a catch pan at the bottom, to hold any casual rain that might blow in.

You can find factory-made louvered panels like this online, or in big box stores.

I'm completely aware of the original intention of a cupola. This house and cupola weren't built like that or for that intention obviously. The people that designed the house put it there for the look I'm pretty sure. They modeled it after a building at a prominent estate near hear so I'm left to deal with it. The dyer vent sort of look would be hard to blend in. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 20190930_105150.jpg
    20190930_105150.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 5
Ahh. I see the problem- not really enough area for a louvered vent on that small cupola if it has windows on all of the sides. There are different styles of dryer vent covers-- some of them are round & louvered with some sort of netting behind to keep out birds- question is, where would they go? Sometimes you can get away with a grille to allow air out that is designed to look decorative but has a screen behind to keep birds out.
I wish I had more suggestions- it's clear you need to keep rain out as well...
Is there a specific type of vent grille for crawlspaces on the exterior of a house? Would something like that work?
Something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Builders-Edge-9-3-8-in-x-17-1-2-in-Foundation-Vent-Kit-with-Trim-Ring-and-Optional-Fixed-Louvers-Molded-Screen-117-Bright-White-140036410117/206819590

Something like that might work. I was thinking I could put it on the back side so it not too conspicuous. Nothing behind the house but woods so nobody would really see it. I have a sketch with some dimensions somewhere I'll have to figure out if there is room, Thanks for the suggestion.

Those look like regular double hung windows.

If that is true, then just remove one or more of the lower windows, they should come out pretty easy.

Replace with a deep louvered panel.
With screening behind it, and a metal or plastic catch pan full width and maybe 10 inches or so deep, to catch casual rain that might blow in during a weird venting issue during a storm etc.

You could put it on the side facing the woods.

Although having two panels opposite each other would vent better.

Regular double hung wood windows. Wood on the inside. The moisture problem I've had and winter temps broke the inside pane on all 4 windows. I have new windows, FRP, that I'm going to put in. I'll reside and reflashnthe whole thing when I do it so that's my opportunity.

Latest posts

Back