Water damage from years of rot. WOW!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spwquebec00

Reaction score
Little could be foretold from a single lose tile in the bathroom.... until I took it off, expecting some damage. Well, there are reasons we take precautions against water damage I guess, but this single damaged tile and reliance on grout to stop water penetration, was foolhardy. Anyhow, the damage has destroyed the structural exterior wall, including the siding as the rot was complete; right up to the top plate, down to the flooring, the tiles, top floor and subfloor are completely perished, including the supporting joists. The concrete needs cleaning but is OK. So my 6 inch tile is now a 8 foot by 8 foot hole, no floor, no wall, no bathroom.

Add to that the lead sheeting that perished and some local asbestos wrap, this explains why the job isn't five minutes to glue to tile back on.

My question is, how far deyond the damaged wood should I go, I believe it is 2 feet, treat other exposed areas.... I have contained the area whilst working obviously.

Experience or code responses welcome..... I'm taking the day off anyhow!

My test is an ice pick. Test a few know good spots to get a feel for solid wood. I would say cut out all suspect bad wood and then poke the end grain. It's always easier to take more off than put back on. With treating I would just go a few inches past the rot.

I'm not an expert so will be waiting to hear from pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Thanks, I`m going to go two foot past and treat, so there can be no questions when I close this back up. Gypse is easy once I`ve got the bad structure out and back in. An extra day of demo for peace of mind I think

Water damage in a shower is really bad because you use your shower every day - sometimes several times. It get even worse because it is a exterior wall. If you have insulation in your walls the water will 'wick' up the insulation and not stop until gravity says so. The other bad thing about insulation is that it stays wet longer helping destroy things such as wood, sheetrock, etc. If it shows signs of water remove it! What to learn from this - eliminate the culprit - TILE! It is a maintenance battle that is uphill and if it fails its is brutal. I would install solid surface shower wall panels and give yourself a practical solution on maintenance and ultimately peace of mind!

You need to fix the first link, it's missing the ":"

Latest posts

Back