Water Meter

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Askzjr

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am on the struggle bus and looking for some guidance. We got out water bill today and what is normally $250 to $300 bill is $700. We normally at this time of year use 15k gallons but the city said we used 43k. The fist thing is we in that time between normal bill and crazy bill is that the city installed a new water meter.

Tonight I did some tests, the first test was the small flower bed sprinklers. I watch the meter and it said that I was using 41.5 gpm. This is 5 little bush sprinkles and a tree sprinkler. Then I had the wife fill a gallon bucket at the sink as I watched the meter, which read 4.9 g.p.m, it took 38 seconds to fill the bucket. Next we filled the same bucket in a bathtub which read 7.9 g.p.m. and that bucket tool 23 seconds. To me that seem like the water meter may be a little haywire. I live on a slab and not sure what else I can do to troubleshoot. Thanks for any advice. Happy Independence Day!

Steve

Are you sure your water meter is reading in GPM? Mine reads total cubic feet used.

I think your next step should be talking to the City water dept. about the measurements you made.

Back