Waterproofing . Dimple material over the vapor barrier. I am confused.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TildaKarma

Reaction score
Just had a company come and waterproof our old 1910 sandstone basement . I'm confused as to why this dimple material is on the outside of the vapor barrier. What possible purpose does this serve ? Thanks kindly. 1000015891.jpg

Did they put a french drain along the perimeter of the basement ?

I expect the dimple membrane is just there to ensure that any moisture that gets through the wall gets directed to the french drain, rather than onto the floor.

The reason for the dimples is they provide a space for the water to enter the trench. I assume they cut the old floor out away from the wall and dug down and laid tile and added gravel and then recapped the floor over to the wall. If they had just run the vapor barrier down below the floor the concrete repair would have sealed the smooth surface off. Plus the dimpled stuff is much stronger being at floor level.

Looks like they did a nice job.

Does the sump run a lot?

Is there an alarm to let you know if the sump doesn’t come on?

Some people even go as far as a back up system or one that can work during a power outage.

Do you have plans of finishing the space or using it as living space?

The reason for the dimples is they provide a space for the water to enter the trench. I assume they cut the old floor out away from the wall and dug down and laid tile and added gravel and then recapped the floor over to the wall. If they had just run the vapor barrier down below the floor the concrete repair would have sealed the smooth surface off. Plus the dimpled stuff is much stronger being at floor level.

Looks like they did a nice job.

Does the sump run a lot? Not yet. Hadn't rained in awhile since installing.

Is there an alarm to let you know if the sump doesn’t come on? No

Some people even go as far as a back up system or one that can work during a power outage. Good idea?

Do you have plans of finishing the space or using it as living space? Oh heck no. Floor needs done also. Will never be a living space.

Back