Weeping cracks where the shower wall meets the floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kend

Reaction score
Our basement bathroom/shower was installed 10 years ago when our basement was finished. There are thin cracks along the bottom of the shower walls where they meet the shower floor tile. I now know that they should have used caulk instead of grout at that point and I plan to seal the crack with silicone caulk.

To prep, I left that shower alone for 48 hours to dry out. But when I checked today the cracks at the base of the wall were still moist. I pressed some tissue along the cracks to wick out the water and came back an hour later to find the tissues completely soaked. I repeated the process 7-8 times today and got less water each time until nothing more came out. I am surprised at how much water had been hiding in these cracks for 2 days. I don't think it was leaking anywhere. I know they used backer board because it is visible from the boiler room. But I don't want any moisture behind the new caulk. Any suggestions on how to make sure all the moisture back there is gone before I caulk?

I have thought about spraying some rubbing alcohol along the crack and letting that get absorbed and then evaporate. And, once it is dry, I might squirt some thin superglue into the crack and let that get absorbed into the space where the water has been going. I have some super glue that is the same consistency as water. But first the moisture needs to be gone.

Welcome.
If the shower walls are grouted tile, the moisture could be transitioning thru the grout and migrating to the floor. Grout needs to b e sealed and occasionally resealed as chemicals used in cleaning will deteriorate the sealer.

Silicone, in my opinion, works best 20' deep in a landfill, unopened.

There unhanded grouts that are modified, or you can add a vinyl modifier to make a water resistant filler.

Latest posts

Back