What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After three outgoing phone calls to the plumber dispatch, each call ending with them giving me a promise to call me back with an eta, I never heard from the plumber. So for tonight and tomorrow morning at least we have no running water. (But we do have five sweaty people who spent a day at the zoo.)

I'll be calling a different plumber and you can bet I'll ask him or her to install shutoffs! Until then I'm thinking about the spare supply lines I've got in my garage and how hard it might be to swap one in first thing in the morning...
Is it Pex?

Is it Pex?
No, it is not. My house was built in the late 70s, it's all copper, supply lines to fixtures are the braided metal stuff except for this one which is the white cris-crossed flexible plastic stuff. Looks like this:

193027049258.jpg

If its copper you may at least temporarily be able to get sharkbite pushfit to mip shutoffs and then connect those lines to it. SharkBite 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 1/2 in. MIP Chrome-Plated Brass Quarter-Turn Straight Stop Valve 24947
1658036523560.png
Should probably be 1/2" size. It should slip right on to the copper.

Lady who got the doggies called me and was telling me how much she loves them. Started sobbing because she's so happy. Dogs came over to comfort her. She's going to keep me updated on them. Wants to send me money. She feels bad that I might miss them. She's more attached to them than I ever was. I'll miss them a bit. They already get along with the other dogs & they are super cuddly already. They don't want treats, they just want cuddles.

Stomach is still being crappy so I'm going to bed now.

If its copper you may at least temporarily be able to get sharkbite pushfit to mip shutoffs and then connect those lines to it. SharkBite 1/2 in. Push-to-Connect x 1/2 in. MIP Chrome-Plated Brass Quarter-Turn Straight Stop Valve 24947
View attachment 28122
Should probably be 1/2" size. It should slip right on to the copper.

Lady who got the doggies called me and was telling me how much she loves them. Started sobbing because she's so happy. Dogs came over to comfort her. She's going to keep me updated on them. Wants to send me money. She feels bad that I might miss them. She's more attached to them than I ever was. I'll miss them a bit. They already get along with the other dogs & they are super cuddly already. They don't want treats, they just want cuddles.

Stomach is still being crappy so I'm going to bed now.
Yeah, Sharkbite is the way to go. I replaced several standard sink valves with SB, and will probably do the rest this Summer.

Personally, plumbing is not a DIY task I enjoy doing but calling a plumber for a small repair is also quite expensive. I always keep several sets of pipe caps on my plumbing box (2-3 sharkbite end caps, 2-3 copper cap fittings (for soldering), and 2 screw-on). Also a good idea to have a sharkbite bypass in the event a pipe sprungs a leak. In that case, just the affected part off and add the bypass. Maybe not a permanent solution but enough to get things going while one can get proper supplies from the store.

My main water shut-off valve is leaky and still lets some water pass when closed, so being able to close an end and get to business is paramount. Replacing the main shut-off valve and gas pipes-related work is where I draw the line. Will need to get a plumber to replace that main water valve at some point...

Yesterday, my wife and I went for our usual walk. It seems that wild raspberries are starting to become ripe so we got a nice bunch.
raspberries.jpg
One must watch out for poison ivy though because it is everywhere this year and I already got a major reaction earlier in spring.

Had a tooth pulled Friday... they put some gauze on it and gave me extra gauze... it stopped bleeding in a few minutes and never used the extra... offered me a Rx for Motrin pain reliever, but I turned it down... prolly should have asked for an Rx for some antibiotic, though, to quell infection in the tooth roots area...

The plumber got here at 8 this morning, installed 1/4 turn shutoffs and working supply lines. Life is back to normal. It was expensive but I console myself with the fact that I now have shutoffs to that sink and he got it all done in a little over an hour where it probably would have taken me all morning if not longer ("A happy wife..." and all that). So it stings but not too bad.

Flyover, if in your situation, I would map out every part of your entire plumbing grid and replace it all with Pex. Once you buy the cutter, crimper, and rings, you will probably never have to call a plumber again.

Flyover, if in your situation, I would map out every part of your entire plumbing grid and replace it all with Pex. Once you buy the cutter, crimper, and rings, you will probably never have to call a plumber again.
I like that idea, but I don't think it's a worthwhile thing for me to do. I don't plan to live in this house forever, and aside from this weird feature of my two upstairs bathroom sinks I haven't encountered, and don't expect to encounter, any other serious issues with the plumbing.

I do have a strong sense that my next house is going to be one I build from the ground up, so when that time comes I will take this advice into consideration!

Fair enough, and most people probably wouldn't even know to check if the lines were Pex. That being said, if I were shopping for a house, any location without Pex gets put at the bottom unless it has at least an acre, a shop with a lift etc... Yes, the odds of that are slim, but it would make me forget about the expense of the Pex run I have to do.

I'm perfectly happy with the old plastic hot/cold lines and copper I put in 40 years ago... a lot of these newer systems fail quickly...

I was doing fine with my PVC (as a note, PVC is no longer allowed for cold water lines) and CPVC lines for decades but we had that really bad winter storm both PVC & CPVC get brittle over the years. Some of the PVC and ALL of the CPVC under the house ruptured. It had never gotten cold enough to rupture them before but that winter storm did it. Had to replace it all with PEX. Now, PEX can get chewed by critters so that is something to keep in mind.

My guts still hate me and I'm still nauseous today. I forgot about a package delivered for my neighbor that was put on the back of my brother's truck. I'm not going over there feeling like this and the only phone number I could find for her is disconnected. Will have to get my brother to find out which carrier it was and call them to come get it and deliver it to her properly. I'm not their delivery service. I wonder how many of our packages they kept or threw out. They used to deliberately intercept them & Fedex would let them. I had to complain over 20x about them giving my packages to thieves before they finally stopped. I had to explain that they used intercepting my packages as an excuse to trespass bc they were not allowed over here & they would look for stuff to steal as they had stolen many things in the past & that I was having to run them off all the time when I caught them trying to steal stuff.

Flyover, I'm glad you got the plumbing fixed.

I installed a bidet attachment yesterday. It went without any issue, but I hope I won't have to do any more plumbing for a while!

Flyover, Nice! The bidets are so useful. If you turn them on to just a trickle they can help with rinsing the bowl when cleaning the toilet. Mine has been helpful with my current digestive predicament.

Talked to my friend and he's already gone back to work but feeling a bit weak. However, he's super excited about his dentures and is already feeling more confident. I hope he'll feel confident enough to kick his abusive gf to the curb.

Stomach is a little bit better. I cooked for Mom earlier, ate some fruit, and am currently cooking yellow rice (per mom's request).

The package that was left on the back of my brother's truck is gone. Either it fell or neighbors came and got it.

Detoxing the Blood this week with Red Clover Tea, Turmeric, Celery and Beet Juice Powder... My brand is Organic and half the price of the powder on the non stop commercials, which isn't Organic.

I have never been a fan of Beets, but they taste good and I'm seeing kind of a Nitric Oxide bonus to my workouts. It seems like I can do more reps, but it might all be in my head. Either way, I will drink it all week and see what I see..
Beet Juice.JPG

I tried a cup of Black Walnut leaf tea yesterday. I was afraid it would have a horrible taste but I have tasted worse herbal teas. I was afraid it might give me a surprise cleanse but all is well. I think I'll try another cup with just a touch of local (next door) honey.

The meds I got worked. Still feeling a bit tired. I had a good day of rest. My brother actually took the trash out. He also cleaned up in the kitchen (first time in a decade) and in the hallway (first time ever). It was a half-assed cleaning but better than nothing. I encouraged him rather than complain. He reacts better to positive reinforcement. I'm hoping he'll help me clean more tomorrow.

The guy who adopted the dogs called yesterday to ask about their eating habits. Apparently the dogs are already sleeping in the bed with them & are very happy. They play with his dogs and are having a great time. Meanwhile, I can walk through the house without them jumping on me and I don't have to worry about them eating the cat food. New owner says they like to "counter surf" but they are trying to teach them not to. Good luck with that. LOL.

Personally, plumbing is not a DIY task I enjoy doing but calling a plumber for a small repair is also quite expensive. I always keep several sets of pipe caps on my plumbing box (2-3 sharkbite end caps, 2-3 copper cap fittings (for soldering), and 2 screw-on). Also a good idea to have a sharkbite bypass in the event a pipe sprungs a leak. In that case, just the affected part off and add the bypass. Maybe not a permanent solution but enough to get things going while one can get proper supplies from the store.

My main water shut-off valve is leaky and still lets some water pass when closed, so being able to close an end and get to business is paramount. Replacing the main shut-off valve and gas pipes-related work is where I draw the line. Will need to get a plumber to replace that main water valve at some point...
In my case there is a sill cock within a few feet of my main cutoff. If the main fails to completely stop the flow I can crack the sill cock a little so I can work in other areas without the pesky drip.

Latest posts

Back