What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got another corner base cabinet in today.

View attachment 32988

This shot is really distorted. The uppers look huge.
View attachment 32989
I was trying to figure out what it means when they say the base cabinets have to be level. How level? I put a level on our kitchen counter that was installed by a pro and the bubble was right up against the line. I put my 8’ level across mine and it looks like this. Level is blue.

View attachment 32990

View attachment 32991
In furtherance of my previous post, and depending upon if the cabinets were custom or prefabbed boxes, and also adjusting for the proposed counter top, a level line was struck in excess of 18" below the 54" cleat, adjusted for the counter as well as 5/8" CDX rough-top, but never less than the 18".

I should have bought stock in the supplier of cedar shims.

My installations were dead level, side to side, front to back, no call-backs.

All of my carpenter levels had center vials with 4 graduations, the same as a common plumbers torpedo level, which depicts 1/4" fall, required for standard drain slope, which can be reduced to 1/8" by increasing the pipe dia.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...MInOrM8u-bhwMVWkH_AR2BMwNTEAQYASABEgJ-evD_BwE

Lookin at the forecast for all the MAJOR cities here, it looks like they will all be around 97-100 through Sunday. Well, I'm going on strike! I'm not supporting this Global Warming! They can change the name to Climate Change for all I care!

I'm also not using AC.... If I can make it through this week with no AC use, I can make it through August until it cools again in Sept.

Great way to repel people from the House also! "You can come in, pull up a fan since there's no AC"!!!

I'm not Anti-Social, but I'm also not paying the Power company $$$$$$ this year... I tested the AC to make sure it worked, and that's the only time I used it this year.
Were it I, I'd fill a couple of ice chests full of ice, with a fan or 2 blowing across, an old-fashion glass and some of that smoooooooth bourbon.

A multipurpose solution, at the ready.

Well...I haven't got much done recently on the kitchen project. I'll blame it on the holiday and the heat. It's been really hot, although, I'm glad we're not in California because Sac has been in triple digits for a week and forecast to be in triple digits for another week ahead.

I've been getting a lot of ads for the EZ-Level cabinet leveler system. Does anyone have experience with those?
View attachment 32985
I've used Car Thief Bags to get the cabinets level & plumb. After permanent shims and screwing, I remove the bags.
They're sometimes called Air Shims, Air Wedges or similar.

For the uppers, I have made 1 x 3 strips with one long edge ripped at a 45 degree angle. One strip goes on the wall perfectly level & upside up. The other is attached below (or above, or in place of) the nailing strip on the cabinet, upside down. I set the upper on the wall strip. The angles lock together.
Then, final positioning & screw the cabinet in.

And if you search, you'll find this; "The Arkansas Attorney General has filed a lawsuit against webshop Temu for allegedly being dangerous malware looking to collect personal data."

And this; https://arkansasag.gov/news_release...legally-accessing-their-personal-information/

Temu has long been known as a Chinese co & has been disallowed as a reference on some official sites.
That's an interesting article, Snoonyb. Thanks for posting it.

I'm glad that I don't have the Temu phone app, that I use a VPN on the Mac computer which "sandboxes" the browser and that I only make purchases with a low limit "sacrifice" credit card I have exclusively for on-line buying.

Paul

That's an interesting article, Snoonyb. Thanks for posting it.

I'm glad that I don't have the Temu phone app, that I use a VPN on the Mac computer which "sandboxes" the browser and that I only make purchases with a low limit "sacrifice" credit card I have exclusively for on-line buying.

Paul
It's a paid advertiser on, "AWARD WINNING," YABADABAOOOO-YAHOO.

Bowls full of Ice, but it doesn't cool much more than bowls full of cold water.
A 40gal ice chest last longer and your feet soaking, from walking to goodwill, won't too adversely affect the taste of that smooooooth bourbon.

Ron, I think so long as its straight enough that the tile won't be wonky, it should be OK. If the bubble is between the lines its usually pretty good. The base cabinets are looking good.

Since I live in swampland area with high humidity, fans don't cut it. My AC removes some of the moisture from the air in the house and the moisture is part of what makes it so hard to cool off.
Didn't get much done yesterday. Brother had an absolute temper tantrum when he got home and made a mess in the kitchen, screamed and swore at me as if it was my fault, all bc things went bad at work. I mean, I get being mad over the work situation-- he's already put in his notice and applied for other jobs-- but he didn't have to take it out on me. He dropped his food taking it out of the microwave and it spilled all over so he started kicking over cat food bowls, throwing stuff etc and screamed at me when I asked him to stop and then continued to kick over cat food bowls and scatter cat food everywhere.

Fortunately, the dogs cleaned up most of the spilled food (both my brother's food and the cat food). I ended up not getting much done yesterday at all. I went to the store for groceries and got my friend to tag along so he could hear the noises my truck was making. It didn't make all of them, but he wants to see if the motor moves bc he thinks maybe a motor mount might have dislodged or broken or something. Mom was in a bad mood when I got home and wasn't communicating what she wanted to eat until she calmed down. I had to do some more cleanup in the kitchen and then cooked for her.

Today I got a bag of cat food out of the truck, refilled water, fed kitties cooked for Mom and feel cruddy. The heat is just so oppressive and I'm a wuss about heat.

Lookin at the forecast for all the MAJOR cities here, it looks like they will all be around 97-100 through Sunday. Well, I'm going on strike! I'm not supporting this Global Warming! They can change the name to Climate Change for all I care!

I'm also not using AC.... If I can make it through this week with no AC use, I can make it through August until it cools again in Sept.

Great way to repel people from the House also! "You can come in, pull up a fan since there's no AC"!!!

I'm not Anti-Social, but I'm also not paying the Power company $$$$$$ this year... I tested the AC to make sure it worked, and that's the only time I used it this year.
A friend of mine did this No AC trick & it worked great-

He found a cheap car radiator at a junk yard. He made some feet out of angle brackets & set it vertically in a restaurant bus tub. A mortar mixing tub would also work.

He scrounged up fittings and connected a hose from a hose bibb through a window to the radiator. On the other radiator fitting, he ran a garden hose through a window to a lawn sprinkler in the yard for the garden & lawn. (Well water)

Next, he set up a box fan to blow gently across the radiator.

The water flow is just above a trickle, and it still cooled & dehumidified very well. The downside was emptying condensed humidity from to tub once in a while. Oh- and a partially open window.

It's not 100% free and not net zero, but I still thought that was a "Cool" idea!

Paul

Speaking of smooth whiskey. I just bought a bottle and tried it, and loved it. Best of all, I don't even like whiskey. But this stuff is 'above' Top Shelf, but at $150 a bottle, I love it. I just bought a second bottle as a back up. 20240630_094012.jpg

I set things up to give Fippy a bath but couldn't find him. He must be hiding under Mom's dresser again and wouldn't come out when I called him. Now its dark and colder. Will have to catch him tomorrow.

Princess attacked an opossum last night and had the poor thing bleeding all over the kitchen floor. I had to lock her in the living room so I could take it outside. It was breathing but bleeding quite a bit. Felt so sorry for it. I like the little critters.

Also had to break up a cat fight. Snugglebum went after Biscuits and Gravy Jones went after Snugglebum. Biscuits ran to me for protection and Boo came over to guard him. He hates Snugglebum and Snugglebum is afraid of him. I had to make Gravy move away while I calmed Snugglebum down.

I'm waiting for Mom to want more baked potato. She bought a sack of potatoes and has been eating tons of them even though they aren't healthy.

A friend of mine did this No AC trick & it worked great-

He found a cheap car radiator at a junk yard. He made some feet out of angle brackets & set it vertically in a restaurant bus tub. A mortar mixing tub would also work.

He scrounged up fittings and connected a hose from a hose bibb through a window to the radiator. On the other radiator fitting, he ran a garden hose through a window to a lawn sprinkler in the yard for the garden & lawn. (Well water)

Next, he set up a box fan to blow gently across the radiator.

The water flow is just above a trickle, and it still cooled & dehumidified very well. The downside was emptying condensed humidity from to tub once in a while. Oh- and a partially open window.

It's not 100% free and not net zero, but I still thought that was a "Cool" idea!

Paul
Sounds cool, my mind needs to see it live in action though... Windows closed though for Fire season.

Well, I just shut down the projector for the foreseeable future... It kicks out a TON of heat, which on normal days / Winter days it doesn't seem like a big deal... It was cookin today though.

So, no "Rockford Files" in 4K with a 160" screen... I know, First world problems and all... I'm going to have to use this computer or a small TV to watch stuff until the heat drops.

Just as I was smirking at the nice adorable little 85" TV at Costco recently... Bet it doesn't put out that kind of heat.

Well, I just shut down the projector for the foreseeable future... It kicks out a TON of heat, which on normal days / Winter days it doesn't seem like a big deal... It was cookin today though.

So, no "Rockford Files" in 4K with a 160" screen... I know, First world problems and all... I'm going to have to use this computer or a small TV to watch stuff until the heat drops.

Just as I was smirking at the nice adorable little 85" TV at Costco recently... Bet it doesn't put out that kind of heat.
And in keeping with your winter gymnastics, is the 160", concave or convex?

After 3 or 4 doubles, it's all smooooooooth.

Sounds cool, my mind needs to see it live in action though... Windows closed though for Fire season.
I suppose to keep the windows closed, you could run the hoses through the dryer vent opening & stuff cloths in there

Or, close the window as far as possible and put damp towels in the gap.

And, you can ditch one hose by connecting the "incoming" hose to a faucet with an Aerator Thread to GHT adapter.

And, ditch the other by sending the water down a drain, such as a bath tub. Not a wise use of water, but the windows stay closed.

I suppose to keep the windows closed, you could run the hoses through the dryer vent opening & stuff cloths in there

Or, close the window as far as possible and put damp towels in the gap.

And, you can ditch one hose by connecting the "incoming" hose to a faucet with an Aerator Thread to GHT adapter.

And, ditch the other by sending the water down a drain, such as a bath tub. Not a wise use of water, but the windows stay closed.
At the 2 wide, in willow valley Arizona., we'd hang a batt of evap. cooler mat over the rear of a 6K btu window a/c with a 1/4" copper feed, crack a dia. opposed window, and cool both.

Back