What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend I replaced my water heater. Last year I kept having issues with the old one and, a great deal of troubleshooting, I found that the problem was that the house's pressure reducing valve had stopped working and the water heater was having to deal with input pressures above 100psi. I suspected the water heater had a developing crack and, although things were ok after I replaced the pressure reducing valve, I opted to replace it rather than having to deal with the flooding potential in the basement (it didn't even have a drip pan). Before doing that, (a couple of weeks ago) I took the opportunity to fix a crack in the basement floor and paint everything.

I still need to pass inspection but hopefully everything will be good.
photo_2023-11-13_12-03-47.jpgphoto_2023-11-13_12-03-37.jpgphoto_2023-11-13_12-03-51.jpgphoto_2023-11-13_12-03-55.jpg

Looks great, ekrig!

I've been creating mucus. Lots and lots of mucus. Couldn't sleep last night bc of it. Finally got to sleep this morning but 5min later damn scammers called and woke me up. I said "I'm sick, leave me alone!" and hung up.

Been using nasal cleanser, nasal mists, blowing my nose, shoving tissues up to clear it out, etc. Nostrils are sore, throat is sore, ribs hurt, and I'm exhausted but I can't seem to get back to sleep.

This weekend I replaced my water heater. Last year I kept having issues with the old one and, a great deal of troubleshooting, I found that the problem was that the house's pressure reducing valve had stopped working and the water heater was having to deal with input pressures above 100psi. I suspected the water heater had a developing crack and, although things were ok after I replaced the pressure reducing valve, I opted to replace it rather than having to deal with the flooding potential in the basement (it didn't even have a drip pan). Before doing that, (a couple of weeks ago) I took the opportunity to fix a crack in the basement floor and paint everything.

I still need to pass inspection but hopefully everything will be good.
View attachment 31904View attachment 31905View attachment 31906View attachment 31907
Good job! Does a homeowner have to pull a permit to replace a water heater in your jurisdiction?

Looks great, ekrig!

I've been creating mucus. Lots and lots of mucus. Couldn't sleep last night bc of it. Finally got to sleep this morning but 5min later damn scammers called and woke me up. I said "I'm sick, leave me alone!" and hung up.

Been using nasal cleanser, nasal mists, blowing my nose, shoving tissues up to clear it out, etc. Nostrils are sore, throat is sore, ribs hurt, and I'm exhausted but I can't seem to get back to sleep.
That’s miserable! I got a colonoscopy today so yesterday, I was drinking poison all day.

Good job! Does a homeowner have to pull a permit to replace a water heater in your jurisdiction?
Yes. But what's worse is that one must get a chimney inspection and the corresponding chimney verification form which was a royal PITA. The chimney companies charge for the inspection and they can pretty much make up whatever "required repairs", which they perform, because they know that must get the verification. Most infuriating of all is that the point of the chimney inspection is to ensure proper draft and that gas and carbon monoxide won't accumulate in the house. There is a very simple check that one can do with a match or piece of paper and which I did, before inspection and after water heater replacement. Yet, the chimney inspection guy never checked for proper draft. A state-facilitated ripoff in my opinion...

@zannej @Ron Van - Anyway, I hope that both you feel better soon.

Ron, that does not sound like fun at all.

Ekrig, that sounds very annoying.

I have completely lost my sense of smell. Apparently my brother sprayed peppermint oil in the living room. He and Mom were talking about how good it smelled but I can't smell a thing. It's not the first time though. I lost my sense of smell when I got sick a few years ago. Hopefully it will come back because food doesn't taste as good if I can't smell it.

Ron, that does not sound like fun at all.

Ekrig, that sounds very annoying.

I have completely lost my sense of smell. Apparently my brother sprayed peppermint oil in the living room. He and Mom were talking about how good it smelled but I can't smell a thing. It's not the first time though. I lost my sense of smell when I got sick a few years ago. Hopefully it will come back because food doesn't taste as good if I can't smell it.
Did you lose your sense of smell because of Covid?

That’s miserable! I got a colonoscopy today so yesterday, I was drinking poison all day.
I have to LOL Ron. We've all been there/done that. Here is a nice little jingle for you...

Did you lose your sense of smell because of Covid?
I think its a bad cold or the flu but I haven't been tested for Covid. I might get one of those home tests if I can get myself to go into town but right now I feel blech. Nose is stuffy & the back of my throat itches.

Hoping this crud clears up soon. It is really annoying. At least the headache and chills are gone.

Yes. But what's worse is that one must get a chimney inspection and the corresponding chimney verification form which was a royal PITA. The chimney companies charge for the inspection and they can pretty much make up whatever "required repairs", which they perform, because they know that must get the verification. Most infuriating of all is that the point of the chimney inspection is to ensure proper draft and that gas and carbon monoxide won't accumulate in the house. There is a very simple check that one can do with a match or piece of paper and which I did, before inspection and after water heater replacement. Yet, the chimney inspection guy never checked for proper draft. A state-facilitated ripoff in my opinion...
That’s why I try my hardest to not get the government involved with my projects.

I have been involved with 4 home sales, all in California. Nobody ever asked me about a building permit.

I went for curbside pickup to get a Covid home test. Masked up so I wouldn't breathe on the young man who brought it out to me. Went into the post office after closing (they leave front doors unlocked) to check my box and get out a package that fit in it. Got home and at first was not sure my brain could process how to do the test until after I had something to eat. Put cats out of the room and swabbed each nostrils for 15 seconds each. When I had it done at the doctor's office they didn't even spend a full second swabbing and barely went inside my nose. I got that sucker way up there and cleaned out the nasal passages-- note to self: Get more of those swab thingies bc they are great at cleaning the nose-- and then followed the rest of the instructions.

Now, the control line is supposed to be solid and the other line will either be invisible or show a little pink. A little pink is a sign of Covid. But this looks upsidedown. It's entirely possible with my bad luck that I got one that was put together wrong. But even upsidedown this appears to indicate Covid.
1700024877678.png

Could be a false reading though. Came with a 2nd test I'll do tomorrow. But hey, at least my nostrils are clear.

When I had mine, "nurse golytly", as I referred to her, said too add some crystal lite, lime, smoothed it right out.

That’s why I try my hardest to not get the government involved with my projects.

I have been involved with 4 home sales, all in California. Nobody ever asked me about a building permit.
I completely agree. I avoid getting a permit as much as possible. This project involved a natural gas appliance though, so I wanted to go by the book so that I would be covered by my insurance in the event that anything went wrong.

Now, the control line is supposed to be solid and the other line will either be invisible or show a little pink. A little pink is a sign of Covid. But this looks upsidedown. It's entirely possible with my bad luck that I got one that was put together wrong. But even upsidedown this appears to indicate Covid.
Those antigen tests have high false negative rate but very low false positive rate. In other words, when the second line shows, as in your case, you're pretty much guaranteed to have covid. (If it didn't show, it could still mean that you had covid, which is why usually people do a second test of those when the first comes out negative.)
I hope that you feel better soon.

Thanks, ekrig. I've scheduled appointments for us with the doctor's office tomorrow morning to get the official test and then see if they will prescribe Pavloxid or something for my mother and brother. They have insurance so should be able to get it. Assuming they do the test properly that is. Meanwhile, I can't put my head down to sleep or I wake up coughing uncontrollably. So I'm having to sit up a little and use a neck pillow to hold my head up. Not the most comfortable, but I've been able to doze off a few times. The kitties are telling me its canned-food-o'clock.

@zannej Paxlovid has to be started within a certain time frame. That test is definitely positive. You should quarantine and retest 5 days after initial test, although... some people still test positive at day 5. I did both times I had it.

I am surprised they want you to come into the office. Thats a risk for all the other patients and staff.

I took my moms last cat to be spayed thus morning and have mammary tumors removed. She did well (she is 14 to 16 years old). I feel so bad for her though, you can tell she is in pain. I just gave her her antibiotics and meds and nearly had a panic attack myself.... narrows down my thoughts about the root of my problem. I believe that it is caregiver fatigue and burnout. I have been a nurse for 17 years, the last 3.5 have been nearly devastating, which sounds ridiculous. However, with all the things I have been through in life..... this one is definitely kicking my butt.

It's always fantastic to come away with more awareness of triggers or whatever, so I hope in the morning when I wrap her in a cat burrito and give her her antibiotic that we both fare well with it 🤦🏼‍♀️.

I am still quite shocked over my reaction.... interesting to say the least.
I moved one of my cameras into the bedroom I put her in, so I could check on her with scaring her or disturbing her. I made her a cozy bed with my dogs bed, and a blanket my mom used. Hopefully she will come out of hiding and get back on it in a bit.

Today was my first day off. I have soo many appointments this week. I actually canceled one for tomorrow because I just don't want to go to Dr. Appts every single day. I see enough doctors at work. Lol

I don't have any planned projects this week, but that could always change.
We are trying to decide wether to do Thanksgiving on Wednesday or Thursday, and what all kinds of stuff to fix. (We do this every year, and often make the exact same things lol)

Anyone with big Thanksgiving plans? Or non-traditional plans?

Latest posts

Back