What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to keep in mind are the fittings and their type, because each can shorten the efficient length of the duct.
I've seen in several places recently where people say the maximum dryer duct length is 25 feet or 35 feet. I don't know where the 25 foot number comes from (maybe an old code?) because IRC M1502.4.6 says 35 feet ...but that's not the end of the story. There are actually 3 different scenarios.

M1502.4.6 Duct Length
The maximum allowable exhaust duct length shall be determined by one of the methods specified in Sections M1502.4.6.1 through M1502.4.6.3

M1502.4.6.1 Specified Length

The maximum length of the exhaust duct shall be 35 feet (10 668 mm) from the connection to the transition duct from the dryer to the outlet terminal. Where fittings are used, the maximum length of the exhaust duct shall be reduced in accordance with Table M1502.4.6.1. The maximum length does not include the transition duct.

TABLE M1502.4.6.1
DRYER EXHAUST DUCT FITTING EQUIVALENT LENGTH
DRYER EXHAUST DUCT FITTING TYPEEQUIVALENT LENGTH
4" radius mitered 45-degree elbow2 feet 6 inches
4" radius mitered 90-degree elbow5 feet
6 rows removed by Ron

M1502.4.6.2 Manufacturer's Instructions

The maximum length of the exhaust duct shall be determined by the dryer manufacturer's installation instructions. The code official shall be provided with a copy of the installation instructions for the make and model of the dryer. Where the exhaust duct is to be concealed, the installation instructions shall be provided to the code official prior to the concealment inspection. In the absence of fitting equivalent length calculations from the clothes dryer manufacturer, Table M1502.4.6.1 shall be used.

M1502.4.6.3 Dryer Exhaust Duct Power Ventilator Length

The maximum length of the exhaust duct shall be determined by the dryer exhaust duct power ventilator manufacturer's installation instructions.

M1502.4.6.7 Length Identification

Where the exhaust duct equivalent length exceeds 35 feet (10 668 mm), the equivalent length of the exhaust duct shall be identified on a permanent label or tag. The label or tag shall be located within 6 feet (1829 mm) of the exhaust duct connection.

This is an interesting thing though because my MayTag dryer says I can have 64' of duct (minus bends).

1708437133193.png

So...I want to use 1 x 90 degree bend and 3 x 45 degree bends. That's 2 1/2 - 90 degree bends. I imagine, according to the MayTag chart, I could have between 35' and 44' of duct plus the bends.

I really only need 23 feet of duct plus 12' 6" (3 x 45's and 1 x 90 elbow) = 35' 6" of equivalent duct. So according to code, I should attach a label within 6 feet of the duct connection stating there is long duct. This means any new dryer will have to be checked to ensure 35.5' is acceptable. That probably won't be a problem but what if someone went to the maximum that MayTag allows of 64'? Do most new dryers allow that much duct? Would it be hard to find a new dryer that allows 64'?

A quick check online . .. .
Cheap LG electric dryer;
1708438967334.png

GE Electric
1708439263832.png
It seems most newer dryers can have ducts longer than 35'

Does this help?
View attachment 32302

Also I did see a 4" to oval piece at Lowes.
Is your washer fixed in that location? It can't be pulled out another inch to allow a 4" duct behind it?

I tend to over-think things and make jobs harder than they have to be, but if I have to look at it for (possibly) the rest of my life, I want it to be something that I'm proud of. If the dryer was there when the house was built (it wasn't , but *if*) the builder probably would have brought the duct up, inside the wall and then over to the exterior somehow. Maybe the duct pops out of the wall at the ceiling and heads directly to the exterior. The exposed duct at the ceiling could have a soffit around it.

1708441054546.png
It's a lot more work. I apologize for that. I'm just thinking out loud because this is what I'm about to do in our laundry room. Our laundry room is a disaster. It's a good sized room but the plumbing and configuration is not good.

Right now, our washer and dryer are not next to each other. The washer is where the plumbing is but that's not an exterior wall. The dryer is on an exterior wall about 6 feet away. To get the dryer over by the washer, I need to run a duct very similar to the picture above.

If longer radius fitting are used, the length reduction is reduced. Also, when there is a vertical rise, in the material exhausted system, a cleanup needs to be installed, because of the promoted condensation.

I think that in shan2themax's case, she's attempting to reorganize the space for convenience of use, but that the space size will constrain her.

The other difficulty will be the additional length of the connected services, and their protection.

If longer radius fitting are used, the length reduction is reduced. Also, when there is a vertical rise, in the material exhausted system, a cleanup needs to be installed, because of the promoted condensation.
Yes, I've been thinking about some kind of clean out at the bottom of the vertical run because it makes sense to do so but I've never seen one. What does a "Cleanup" look like?

I think that in shan2themax's case, she's attempting to reorganize the space for convenience of use, but that the space size will constrain her.
Yes, I think that's the case with most people. Also, though, dryer safety should be an issue. The dryer transition hose, in most cases I've seen, is a problem. If you want to have maximum room in the laundry, the dryer needs to be pushed back as far as possible but that often times (almost always) means the transition hose gets kinked and becomes a lint trap and an airflow restriction. Both of those things are a hazard. That's why I like the idea of the Dryer Box.

1708453170077.png

The other difficulty will be the additional length of the connected services, and their protection.
Yes, In my case, I have to move the 30a outlet. The dryer duct needed attention anyway so I'd be re-doing the duct even if I didn't move the dryer.

"Cleanup" I'm constantly reminded to do a better job of proof reading, BY GOOGLE SPEAK.

The few that I've done were into a sheetmetal box with a slide cover, where you didn't need too disconnect the dryer just access with a long
vacuum nozzle.

I like the "shall be smooth" requirement, because there is nothing smooth in a flexible ribbed connecter hose.

With regards to Shane, and it my be just a conversational perception, I think she's on a raised foundation, and that would allow the dryer to be exhausted into a wall cavity, then under the floor to the exterior.

While an additional expense, the space convenience would be met, but would still, unless she bit the bullet, and relocated the services, as well, still leave the long hoses to be concerned with.

Todays project was to re-screen this porch door.

IMG_7070.jpeg

Here it is with the new screen material and a metal guard installed

IMG_7072.jpeg

There it is in place and that yellow cat is the reason I had to do the job!

IMG_7074.jpeg

While I was doing this, Ruby and I heard a terrible animal noise from across the cove. It sounded like an animal in distress so we jumped in the car and drove over there to see if we could see anything.

Of course when we got there we didn’t hear the noise any more but we did see the resident beaver.

IMG_7084.jpeg
IMG_7080.jpeg

Today's my last workday for the week. I will take pictures of the laundry area. A quick answer though is yes I want the comfort of switching walls. I wouldn't be moving the dryer vent hole that is already there. The problem is that the room lacks about an inch of being able to put a 4" vent hose running along side the depth of the washer.

So this is how the washer and dryer are now. You can see the ventilation exit at the bottom right.
20240222_100323.jpg

This is the wall I want them on and it is more narrow. So the washer would be on the right and the dryer on the left. I would use that metal dryer vent to go from dryer along the back of washer. The distance left ooen running along the depth of the washer isn't 4". So however deep the washer is would have to be smaller ventilation tubing until it got back to the front of the washer and then it would go back to 4" to the exit.
20240222_100330.jpg
Ignore the mess.... I did just work 72 hours in 6 days lol

Ron, I don't know about that dryer vent you linked, but I bought this one for when I move my laundry room:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCF7DGDS
1708619950904.png
It's plastic though, but I like that because it won't rust or corrode.

Shan, I got the straight version of this:
https://www.amazon.com/MagVent-MV-90-Magnetic-Dryer-Coupling/dp/B013TI7A4S

But I don't think that would fit behind your dryer. The periscope kits Ron mentioned seem like they would work better. I wonder if they could be combined somehow to use the periscope kind and have it connect to the magvent. Also, it would be ugly, but I wonder if you can run the duct upward and above the washing machine along the wall before going to that other wall.
Does the new location that you want to vent to go to an exterior wall?
Are you keeping the washer and dryer where they are or moving them? I'm trying to visualize the changes.

I had to get up super early on Tuesday to take my brother to get his glasses. He can see people's faces for the first time in months. He passed the eye exam to renew his license so he'd driving himself to work again. And he's able to see the faces of newer co-workers for the first time. He's trying to work on how to get his blood sugar down.

Mom was a bit sad that she gained back all of the weight she lost in the hospital. But she eats carbs and doesn't exercise at all. I actually went for a walk either yesterday or the day before. Doggies were ecstatic about it.

I've got a walmart curbside order today for stuff I couldn't seem to find when I looked in the store. Also planning to take out the trash since it needs to go out.

Did Samsclub pickup yesterday and my brother came along so we ate at the Chinese place. He played music on his phone on the way home and I heard some songs I hadn't heard before that I liked. Played "Paint It Black" more than once since we both like that one and have for decades.

So this is how the washer and dryer are now. You can see the ventilation exit at the bottom right.
View attachment 32318

This is the wall I want them on and it is more narrow. So the washer would be on the right and the dryer on the left. I would use that metal dryer vent to go from dryer along the back of washer. The distance left ooen running along the depth of the washer isn't 4". So however deep the washer is would have to be smaller ventilation tubing until it got back to the front of the washer and then it would go back to 4" to the exit.
View attachment 32319
Ignore the mess.... I did just work 72 hours in 6 days lol
Another question would be, have you measured the space to ascertain, if, any configuration of venting, will actually fit between the washer and the wall?

Another thought would be, if there is an active door for this space, and it swings in, reversing the swing would then add a flexibility of the need for a narrower vent, while still allowing accessibility.

Last edited:
Shan, the only way I would go with 3" is if I cleaned out the vent monthly because the Lint will be building up much faster. I would also only do it if there is a cutoff error code on the Dryer that makes operation impossible until the vent is cleaned, clearing the error code.

Another question would be, have you measured the space to ascertain, if, any configuration of venting, will actually fit between the washer and the wall?

Another thought would be, if there is an active door for this space, and it swings in, reversing the swing would then add a flexibility of the need for a narrower vent, while still allowing accessibility.
Yes, I have measured and have put a washer and dryer there in the past to see how much room there would be and it's a tad more than 3 inches. As far as a door, there currently is no door there, however I have a bifold door that I will be putting there once I figure out what I am doing.

@Spicoli43 I will see if my dryer has that setting, it's brand new so I'm not sure.

I just want to be able to use the laundry room comfortably, I suppose I could drop 100 pounds and attempt to like it anyways..... however I don't see either of those things happening. I had talked out having the kitchen wall built out by one 2x4 (and losing that much kitchen space) and cutting the old wall down in the laundry area. I just know that I won't be able to finish it 100% by myself and make it look good and well finished.

Latest posts

Back