what is this kind of ceiling called and can only a portion of it be fixed?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

56althea

Reaction score
Hi
I'm gathering information for someone who will be fixing a ceiling soon in a building that is 120+ yrs old. It seems to be some sort of tiles but I don't know how they stay up. I poked a long thin knife thru one of the big cracks and hit something solid, I think wood.
I've googled like crazy and think these may be tiles that are glued up?
but since they have to be 30 yrs old or older, I don't know if you can buy these kind any more.
IMG_0003 (22).JPG

IMG_0003 (22).JPGIMG_0003 (22).JPG

Welcome.
There are a number of suppliers for both commercial and residential ceiling tile; armstrong ceiling tiles

As well as USG.

Over the decades, as these have needed to be replaced, the original interlocking tongue and groove need to be amended and the replacement simply glued in place, with any number of adhesives and tack nails.

Welcome.
There are a number of suppliers for both commercial and residential ceiling tile; armstrong ceiling tiles

As well as USG.

Over the decades, as these have needed to be replaced, the original interlocking tongue and groove need to be amended and the replacement simply glued in place, with any number of adhesives and tack nails.
thank you! what is USG please?

does the entire ceiling need to be replaced or can he just do the affected tiles?

This is what/who they are; History | USG

You, should, be able to replace just a single tile, by cutting the seams with a utility knife, however you might end up, depending upon how they are installed, destroying the tile, in the removal process. When the tile has been removed, look to see if there is evidence of a tongue and groove interlock, which may assist in capturing the replacement.

And, there is no way you’ll be matching the color (after 20+ years).

Probably a good time to replace it all. Assuming you can find the studs you may be able to go over the whole ceiling in 1/4" rock.

I have the same ceiling in my basement rec. room, installed about 50 yrs. ago. I had some water stains like that and had pretty good success sealing the water stain area with a sealer shellac (to prevent the stain from bleeding through) and then painting with flat white paint.

As tmiskimen stated, use a pigmented shellac primer such as Bin. I painted a number of such ceilings and found it best to spot prime the obvious stains then prime the entire ceiling followed by a coat of flat.

thanks everyone for your suggestions. It seems these may be celotex tiles, that are either glued or stapled up (found someone who is removing this type of ceiling and it look identical)

It seems there are many old coats of paint on them and that may be contributing to the area over the stove that is sagging.

I have passed the info on to the landlord. I have absolutely no say in what happens next.

interesting. not something the landlord is going to do
he only does the bare minimum and does not care how things look.

Latest posts

Back