What oil do you use and why?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone uses for oil and why you chose that brand or weight?

Well, I used Tropartic for years, because when I worked on police cars, they used it and took a beating and it worked good. Can't find it anymore, so I use whatever is on sale.

Brad Penn in the Porsche
It's the only thing I own that tachs to 6K RPM

Valvoline in the Model T's
No real reason other than that's what my engine builder said he's used in his T's for the last many years

Rotella in the Dodge.
I get a good discount on it and can do an oil change and new Wix Filter for $63 with my business account

Whatever is on special at the time at O-Reilly for the Corolla
Cause I'm cheap and the car doesn't care

Merle's re-branded Valvoline in anything else.
Seems to be a good oil and I get a good price on it.

Hoppe's or Remington for my guns. ;)

Mobil One synthetic 10/30 in the S-10 and Rotella 20/50 in the '77 Chevy van. Synthetic isn't expensive unless you change it every 3000 miles for some really strange reason.
At 4,000 or 5,000 miles, just change the filter, add a quart then go another 3 or 4 thousand more before the next oil change. With today's roller cam engines and fuel injection, oil doesn't get dirty like the carbureted engines of the old days.

Welcome aboard Hi!

I have learned what my father in law uses for oil, especially in my work vehicles. It's whatever he grabs first. Last week I saw him carrying a gallon of 10-30 out of my shop, I asked him what that was for? He said the dump truck is low. I told him that is is a diesel and like all diesels it takes 15-40 and he knew that. He said well I didn't find any so I was gonna put this in (A couple months ago he did the same thing which made me park it and do an oil change) I walked the ten feet and grabbed one of the many gallons of 15-40 we had and gave it to him. I don't like mixing weights, he figures oil is oil but then again all his vehicles have issues and mine don't.

I've ran Shell Rotella 15-40 in my 7.3's and that's all they've ever had. Picked up oil and a filter today, guess I'll go get my hands dirty.

I use the cheap stuff in my old '85 work van.

Nothing wrong with the cheap stuff. I run a lot of Walmart oil in my small equipment. My tractors get John Deere oil because I have an account there and get a decent deal. I run 15-40 also in my boat, the same john deere oil. I run delo 400 in my diesel pickups and my jeeps get whatever is cheap as long as it is 10-40. Wifes car gets whatever the oil change place puts in.

Easiest oil change I've ever done is on my F-250 and now the F-350. I do need to grease her though, that will wait till this weekend.

My easiest was my 06 F250 with the V10, took all of about 3 minutes. Diesels took about 5 minutes.

I remember years ago working in a shop. Someone brought a Mustang 2 in for service. Could not figure out how to change the filter. Found a book, it said to remove a motor mount and jack up the engine. Not me.

I really don't understand some of these ideas they come up with.

I have been using Mobil synthetic 5w-30 Dexos in our 2015 Chevy Sonic .

The 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8l we recently purchased does not seem to call for Dexos spec oil . I bought 5 - 5 quart jugs of Shell 5W-30 on sale for $ 10 a jug at Home Depot . May use it in the Buick .

Also will use it in the lawn mowers .

I have bought up a fair supply of the synthetic , may at some point use it in the Buick .

God bless
Wyr

Do you think there is any real benefit to using synthetic?

I have wondered that too. I have never used any and only had one engine failure in the last 50 years.

My grandfather worked at project and they did a bunch if testing. He has been using Pennzoil for twice as long as I've been alive and never had any issues. His old Chevy has 350k on it and still purrs like a kitten. He says that the oil is good for much longer than they even ask you to change it. Most important thing is to keep oil in the motor.

I have never had a failure due to oil. Mine is usually because of my own stupidity or lack of fixing a small problem which then gets big.

Well , the Sonic requires Dexos specification oil . Supposedly to maintain the warranty .

This turns out to be either synthetic blend or full synthetic . I have opted for full synthetic .

I see no disadvantage to using synthetic oil , other than cost . Which is not prohibitive if you DIY oil / filter & catch it on sale .

It does get pricey at the quick change places ! :-(

There are a lot of claimed advantages . I can not say if they are true or not .

But frequent oil / filter changes with high quality oil / filter is pretty cheap insurance .

Wyr
God bless

Well , the Sonic requires Dexos specification oil . Supposedly to maintain the warranty .

This turns out to be either synthetic blend or full synthetic . I have opted for full synthetic .

I see no disadvantage to using synthetic oil , other than coast . Which is not prohibitive if you DIY oil / filter & catch it on sale .

It does get pricy at the quick change places ! :-(

There are a lot of claimed advantages . I can not say if they are true or not .

But frequent oil / filter changes with high quality oil / filter is pretty cheap insurance .

Wyr
God bless

What do you do with the used oil? Around here I have to pay someone to take it. Kills any savings from changing my own.

Back