What the heck is going on with my ceiling?

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by Tellebot, Apr 2, 2015.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Apr 2, 2015 #1

Tellebot

Tellebot

Tellebot

I finally got around to finishing replacing the detached drywall tape on my kitchen ceiling. I retaped, mudded, sanded, wiped dust, and primed. I didn't prime the whole ceiling, since I'm just going from white to white and the previous owners painted the whole house shortly before we bought it.

I primed yesterday, and started painting today. The white ceiling paint is going on gray over the areas where I didn't prime, and stark white where I did prime. Why is this? I've used this same ceiling paint in 3 other rooms with no trouble, although this is a fresh gallon. Is there something wrong with the new paint? Or the old paint? Something else? Both the primer and paint I used are water-based; could the old paint be oil-based?

In the pic, from left to right: the unprimed ceiling someone else painted, the area I just painted on top of the unprimed ceiling, and the paint over the area I primed.
    View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1427989897.137381.jpg

2. Apr 2, 2015 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

It may have done the same in other room, with out patches, you wouldn't notice. Once dry do some tests with another coat.

3. Apr 3, 2015 #3

kok328

kok328

kok328

perhaps something is bleeding through (grease, smoke, etc.). The only fix is to prime the entire surface and then paint.

4. Apr 3, 2015 #4

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

It could dry a little lighter but that seems like a long way to go.

5. Apr 3, 2015 #5

chrisn

chrisn

chrisn

I hope he comes back and tells us it all dried out just fine. If not then kok328 has the right approach

6. Apr 3, 2015 #6

Tellebot

Tellebot

Tellebot

The second coat dried much more evenly. Starting a third coat. That's what I get for trying to save myself time by only priming where I patched, I guess. But at least it looks like it'll all look okay...eventually.

7. Apr 3, 2015 #7

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

It may have more to do with the quality of the paint or how well you spread it. I have spot-patched successfully on a ceiling.