When to replace system

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconbrother

Reaction score
I have been fixing and replacing parts on my 20 year old system for 13 years. It was trouble free for 7.5 years. The singer system before that went 28 years with zero repairs..28 years.. Anyway, my draft inducer fan on the gas pack is dying and I have one on order that should be here tomorrow or Thursday. But, I'll tell you that air handler is looking rough. Last summer we had nice cold air all summer (after a little R22 was added). But, I think this old dog is on it's last legs.

Do I wait for it to completely lay down (like a significant leak or bad compressor, which is only 13 years old and still going strong) or do I start planning to replace?

Our Carrier units are 19 years old. Many neighbors have replaced their units already some 5 or more years ago. The neighborhood is 16-22 years old. At this point I won't do a major repair on them. Adding a little refrigerant, sure. Replacing a control board or blower motor? Probably not. You know you're on borrowed time, so you be the judge. A couple of hundred that gets you through a year or two might we worth it. I wouldn't spend more the three hundred on mine. I hope to get another year out of mine as our youngest is a junior in college. I'm mentally getting ready for my HVAC guy to say it's time to pull the plug.

Try Ductless Mini Split

Providing both heating and cooling through a single device – a heat pump. Heat pumps have been used, mainly in Southern climates, for decades.

Avoiding ductwork. Instead of difficult-to-install, leaky and bulky ductwork, ductless mini-split heat pumps use an indoor unit connected to an outdoor unit via refrigerant lines (which only need a three-inch hole in an outdoor wall for installation). Up to 8 indoor units can be attached to one outdoor unit.

Allowing for Different Climates for Each Room. Each indoor unit can provide customized heating and cooling -- adjustable through wall consoles, remote controls and smart phone apps -- in each conditioned space.

Cutting heating costs in half compared to conventional electric heating systems. Because they transfer instead of generate heat, ENERGY STAR certified ductless mini-split heat pumps use 60% less energy than standard home electric resistance-based heating systems.

Cutting cooling costs by 30% compared to conventional room air conditioners. ENERGY STAR certified ductless min-split heat pumps use more sophisticated compressors and fans that can adjust speeds to save energy.

What is the initial investment on having the systems installed. compared to my thru the wall air conditioner that is also energy star rated and it has the energy saver feature . now on heating I have to admit you have me beat I have electric base board heaters .still is it worth my time to go out and purchase one of there units?

Back