Whole home attic fan switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demoso

Reaction score
I have a whole home attic fan. It’s old I’m guessing it’s original with the house from 1962. My wife wants to switch out the switch for something more modern. Currently it’s just an on off timer dial. I put some picks below of the switch and fan. Can buy any modern on off timer switch like something with a digital display to switch it out with? Please feel free to send links and suggestions to switches that will work!

Thanks for your help!

upload_2019-3-28_10-33-15.jpeg
upload_2019-3-28_10-33-35.jpeg
upload_2019-3-28_10-33-54.jpeg
upload_2019-3-28_10-34-14.jpeg

It put the is like the switch needs to be rated for 6.4 amps minimum.

You may have a hard time putting an electronic timer in place of the mechanical timer that you have if you don’t have a neutral wire pulled into the box already. You will want to confirm if you have one before getting the electronic switch, or just make sure that no neutral wire is required when you get it and you will be safe either way it goes.

If you get a speed control make sure you aren’t just putting in a light dimmer switch, it actually needs to be a motor speed control.

Some exhaust fan timer switches require an additional component to be added when switching a large load like your motor, you will want to read the instructions to see if the switch you are looking at will require anything extra (relay or something similar)

That’s the extent of my experiences, hope that helps.

Many new timers require a neutral. You need to verify there is a neutral in the switch box or be prepared to replace the cable between the fan and the switch.

Back