Whole house fan issues

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CouchTater

Reaction score
My whole house attic fan suddenly stopped working. I went to turn it on and nothing. Checked the breaker and it was not tripped. Went into the attic, which is more of a crawl space and very difficult to maneuver, checked the motor and not even a hum. I replaced the switch with no success and then replaced the belt and motor still not so much as a hum.At this point I am assuming it is not getting power for some reason. Any possible ideas what could be the issue? Do I need an electrician or would I call an HVAC tech? This fan is invaluable for keeping the house cool and I really need it working. Thanks in advance!

My whole house attic fan suddenly stopped working. I went to turn it on and nothing. Checked the breaker and it was not tripped. Went into the attic, which is more of a crawl space and very difficult to maneuver, checked the motor and not even a hum. I replaced the switch with no success and then replaced the belt and motor still not so much as a hum.At this point I am assuming it is not getting power for some reason. Any possible ideas what could be the issue? Do I need an electrician or would I call an HVAC tech? This fan is invaluable for keeping the house cool and I really need it working. Thanks in advance!

So to clarify; There are attic fans which operate from a "set" thermostatic control and are mounted in the attic.

There are also "whole house fans" which mount in the ceiling and via a selective speed control, force air into the attic, and out the attic vents, thereby cooling the attic and the house.

Assuming you have the latter, before you changed the switch, did you check for the presence of voltage?

If you do not have an inexpensive voltage tester, you might invest in one.

Did you....
...check the power going to the switch?
...use the correct replacement switch?
...check the output side of the switch to verify function?

This is a ceiling mounted fan that operates off a two speed switch with an additional timer no thermostat. I did use an identical switch and replaced the wiring identically to the old connections. I have not tested for voltage and do not have a voltage tester. I'm afraid my electrical know how is limited. Thanks!

This is a ceiling mounted fan that operates off a two speed switch with an additional timer no thermostat. I did use an identical switch and replaced the wiring identically to the old connections. I have not tested for voltage and do not have a voltage tester. I'm afraid my electrical know how is limited. Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification, to the benefit of others.

Because you have a timer, it may be the culprit and there is a simple way to eliminate it.

Shut the breaker off, loosen and pull both the switch and timer out of the box, one of the two wires on the timer the should be connected to a black wire and the other too the switch. Disconnect both wires for the timer and set it aside. connect the black wire previously connected to the timer, to the switch, turn the breaker back on and try the fan.

If you wish to venture in further, we can guide you or you can call an electrician.

However, at an electricians rate of service it may be that if the motor has failed it would be prudent to simply replace the unit.

Last edited:
I am going to get a voltage meter and give it a try and at least try to identify the problem before calling anyone in. I replaced the motor with a new one so I think that the problem must lie somewhere in the electrical system.

Ok here's what I've found. Breaker has power. The timer and switch are separate. The switch has 5 poles. There is a black wire connected to the timer which is showing hot. There is also a white wire which is connected to the switch leading from the same bundle with the black hot wire. There is a red wire which leads from the timer to the switch. There is additional black, white and red wires which are connected to the switch which I assume lead to the motor. I am registering no power from the timer to the switch. Is there a way to bypass the timer? The timer switch combos I have found online are all just 4 wire.

img013.jpg

Ok here's what I've found. Breaker has power. The timer and switch are separate. The switch has 5 poles. There is a black wire connected to the timer which is showing hot. There is also a white wire which is connected to the switch leading from the same bundle with the black hot wire. There is a red wire which leads from the timer to the switch. There is additional black, white and red wires which are connected to the switch which I assume lead to the motor. I am registering no power from the timer to the switch. Is there a way to bypass the timer? The timer switch combos I have found online are all just 4 wire.

Yes.
As described in msg. #5.

Ok Did that connected the black wire where the red from the timer was previously. There was a loud pop at the breaker and the breaker tripped.

The black connected to the timer and the white also connected to the timer, from the same piece of cable, is the "hot pair" and although not noted may have a bare copper grnd. conductor.

The red from the timer connected to the switch is switched power and with the timer in an on position should read a voltage value similar to the black wire connected to the other side of the timer from the hot pair.

If it does not, the timer is faulty and yes they do wear out.

The black, red and whit leaving the switch are the switch leg and will only be hot, if the timer is in the circuit and on, or when the switch is on without the timer in the circuit.

Ok Did that connected the black wire where the red from the timer was previously. There was a loud pop at the breaker and the breaker tripped.

Disconnect the black, white and red conductors from the switch that go to the fan and try the breaker again.

t's a process of elimination.

Sounds like a project to continue tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Will update tomorrow!

Brand new motor installed since the power stopped working. No reset switch but appreciate the suggestion.

There was a slightly different wiring configuration but it was wired correctly. Current status. Was able to get it running but new motor needs reversing. There is nothing in the instructions on how to reverse directions. Inside the casing there is a red wire and black wire which slip onto posts. These are separate from the wires coming from the switch. I tried reversing those but then the motor stopped running. This is the replacement motor for that fan so I know there is probably a simple way to do it but it escapes me. No one at the company I bought the motor from has a clue. Thanks again!

There was a slightly different wiring configuration but it was wired correctly. Current status. Was able to get it running but new motor needs reversing. There is nothing in the instructions on how to reverse directions. Inside the casing there is a red wire and black wire which slip onto posts. These are separate from the wires coming from the switch. I tried reversing those but then the motor stopped running. This is the replacement motor for that fan so I know there is probably a simple way to do it but it escapes me. No one at the company I bought the motor from has a clue. Thanks again!

Have you tried turning the fan blades over?

Latest posts

Back