Whole house fan issues

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a ceiling mounted belt driven unit. I'm not sure they can be turned over without ripping everything out of the ceiling. The motor is reversible just need to figure out how.

This is a ceiling mounted belt driven unit. I'm not sure they can be turned over without ripping everything out of the ceiling. The motor is reversible just need to figure out how.

I've accomplished the task on both your design as well as direct drive, which is the most common.

I'll certainly look at that as a possibility if I'm unable to reverse the motor. Unfortunately when they mounted it they put it over the stair well which makes access difficult. We just bought this house a few months ago and naturally it worked fine then. Finding replacement parts are difficult as well as anyone in the area that works on them. Thanks for all your help.

I'll certainly look at that as a possibility if I'm unable to reverse the motor. Unfortunately when they mounted it they put it over the stair well which makes access difficult. We just bought this house a few months ago and naturally it worked fine then. Finding replacement parts are difficult as well as anyone in the area that works on them. Thanks for all your help.

Often they were installed when there was scaffold aplenty.

A film of dirt and lint on the fan can shorten the motor life.

When you are able to return the appliance to full operation, could you provide a synopsis of what parts had failed and a general oversight of your process?

Update: I was able to reverse the motor. I had originally swapped the red and black wires I referred to earlier without results but I went back pulled them off and put them back on and it worked. It is now moving counter clockwise and the dampers are opening as they should. I'm still not sure where the problem originated but I installed a new motor and belt as I'm sure they were the original. It is quite a bit noisier than before but I'm not going to complain. I will have to baby it as I'm told the timer and switch for this unit are no longer available. Hoping I don't have to crawl back into that attic again anytime soon. Thanks for everyone's help!

Update: I was able to reverse the motor. I had originally swapped the red and black wires I referred to earlier without results but I went back pulled them off and put them back on and it worked. It is now moving counter clockwise and the dampers are opening as they should. I'm still not sure where the problem originated but I installed a new motor and belt as I'm sure they were the original. It is quite a bit noisier than before but I'm not going to complain. I will have to baby it as I'm told the timer and switch for this unit are no longer available. Hoping I don't have to crawl back into that attic again anytime soon. Thanks for everyone's help!

Any Hunter fan step switch and selective duration timer which can be housed in a dual gang box will work, as long as it will handle the current draw for the motor.

Almost any Hdwr. store will have them.

Back